Computer will not recognize router Archer C5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-07 23:35:33

I have a laptop, phone and tablet that all connect via my router. I have a couple of older laptops that would not connect. I just bought a new laptop, and it will not connect either. What changes can I try to connect to my new laptop.  It may not matter, but computer is bgn, but was told this should not be an issue. I welcome any suggestions. Thank You.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Computer will not recognize router Archer C5
2019-12-08 14:36:53

@Cparmba,

Two things come to mind, Interference and Security type.

If you are on Windows, get Acrylic https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/downloads-free-license-wifi-wireless-network-software-tools/, or another Wifi Scanner that runs on the other OS type devices from the Device store. Check to see if there are other strong signals (lower DB readings) on the same channel your router broadcasts on. If so, change to a less used channel.

Some devices need different security settings, especially older hardware. Try as a test with no security and see if that helps.

When you try to connect the new laptop, what error do you get? Assuming it is wireless, have you tried all SSID's? Does it even see all SSID's?

Options
2019-12-08 15:28:42
The new computer does not see or detect my wifi, but sees all other secured wifi networks from my neighbors.
Options
2019-12-08 15:41:06

@Cparmba,

What SSID Ghz, 2.4 of 5Ghz,  is the computer seeing? Again, could be intereference from a stronger SSID causing problems. Also the Security could be wrong. Possible your router has the SSID turned off or even hidden. Do other devices see the SSID you are looking for?

Options
2019-12-08 16:28:08
Thank you for your assistance. I have basically no knowledge regarding these matters but I will try to tell you what I have uncovered. 1. New computer does not show my wifi as an available network, but recognizes many other wifi networks. 2. My router has 2 SSIDs? One for 2.4Ghz, and one for 5Ghz. 3. My laptop, phone, and all connect via 2.4 Ghz SSID, do not recognize or offer option to use 5Ghz SSID. 4. I pretty sure my phone and tablet are bgn, but my working laptop is ac. The new one is bgn. (don't know if this matters).
Options
2019-12-08 16:57:05

@Cparmba,

Most N devices are Dual band, that is they can see both the 2.4 and 5Ghz SSID's. AC surely is.

Sounds like your 5Ghz band isn't transmitting or is 'hidden'. Have you checked the Wireless settings on the Graphical interface? There is a checkbox for Hidden, might be on, or ensure the box is checked to enable the 5Ghz band.

Possible the router has a problem, could call/text support I guess?

Options
2019-12-11 20:34:24

@Cparmba 

With respect to the laptop, update the network adapter drivers.

Look below the router, you should see the two default wireless networks of the router one for 2.4GHz and one for 5GHz. Do a factory default on the C5 by holding the reset for 15 seconds, and wait for it to boot up fully.

With your existing wireless devices if you see other 5GHz then you should be seeing both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz (asuming that device is able to see 5GHz). In the end if you still do not see the Archer C5 then something may be wrong with the actual router.

Options