Can't transfer files between LAN clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can't transfer files between LAN clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
19 Reply
Re:Can't transfer files between LAN clients
2019-12-09 23:11:23 - last edited 2019-12-09 23:31:56

@Carl 

Thanks Carl.  Just knowing LAN file transfer is supported clarifies things.  The email I gave support is the same one and I sent you a DM.

Options
2019-12-09 23:14:49 - last edited 2019-12-10 00:00:40

IrvSp wrote

@wdpcpa,

Well the best thing to try is the CMD line.

This will determine what you 'can' see and also if SMB1 is enabled.

Use the Windows key + R and enter CMD. Then enter NET VIEW, it should look something like this:

It says:
System error 53 has occurred.
The network path was not found.

I did try to ping the Shield and both Mybooks and that worked and it was pretty fast.  I was kind of surpised.  Didn't know one could ping an android device.

I found a way to test if I have SMB1 and SMB2 using the Powershell and the command  "Get-SmbServerConfiguration | Select EnableSMB1Protocol" command structure. SMB1 and SMB2 returned "True". SMB3 didn't return anything.

Options
2019-12-10 00:00:59

@wdpcpa 

wdpcpa wrote

IrvSp wrote

@wdpcpa,

Well the best thing to try is the CMD line.

This will determine what you 'can' see and also if SMB1 is enabled.

Use the Windows key + R and enter CMD. Then enter NET VIEW, it should look something like this:

It says:
System error 53 has occurred.
The network path was not found.

I did try to ping the Shield and both Mybooks and that worked and it was pretty fast.  I was kind of surpised.  Didn't know one could ping an android device.

This sounds like the classic SMB1 isn't enabled? All PC's must have it enabled as well.

MS 'disabled' it V1703 over a year ago. It will also 'turn it off' if you have not enabled it.

Main point is ALL PC's must have it enabled.

Problem is the Computer Browser and Master Browser. MS has 'depricated' them. They REQUIRE SMB1 to be running, and the router runs that, NOT the newer SMB3. SMB1 is considered a 'security risk'.

To enable it, look here for details: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/Lync/en-US/8160d62b-0f5d-48a3-9fe9-5cd319837917/how-te-reenable-smb1-in-windows1o?forum=win10itprogeneral

More info from MS: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-by-default-in-windows

This might also help as there are some services that might have to be turned on: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/unable-to-share-files-in-windows-10-v-1803/86a4dfe6-4531-4361-b0c2-d1c43319cd2e

Options
2019-12-10 00:03:26
@wdpcpa, It is the device that you are trying to access that has to match your PC. Good you are running SMB1, but as I said all PC's must as well. Do you have more than one on the LAN? If so, check them all.
Options
2019-12-10 02:26:55

IrvSp wrote

@wdpcpa, It is the device that you are trying to access that has to match your PC. Good you are running SMB1, but as I said all PC's must as well. Do you have more than one on the LAN? If so, check them all.

@IrvSp Not right now.  I do have other computers but they are not on.  And everything worked prior to switching the modem and router as best as I know.

Right now I have two NAS drives.  A WD MyBook 2TB and a WD Mybook 3TB.  I suspect these are SMB1 as they are now very old.  However, there was an updat in 2019.  I have emailed Western Digital support but it will be 2 days to get an answer.  How can I know?

I also have an Nvidia Shield Pro.  This is an android devise and reviewing the forums this is also SMB1.  They keep saying they want to upgrade to SMB 3 but it hasn't happened yet.  

So I think we are good.  Also SMB 2 is functional on my desktop so I should be able to accomodate either?

Options
2019-12-10 05:48:42

@wdpcpa 

UPDATE.  I am 2/3rds done.  I found a video that added one step to the SMB1 protocal.  Using Regedit I had to had a D word, name it smb1 and change its value to 1.  Odd, I know but it is in this easy to follow Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bylzh_usmPw

After unplugging the router for 5 minutes and rebooting the computer a couple of times, I was able to access my SHIELD and one of my NAS devices.  The other one I still cannot access so I have sent a support request to Western Digital.  Takes 2 days to hear back.

Thanks for the help everyone.  This seems much harder than it should be.

Options
2019-12-11 23:23:00

@wdpcpa 

Have you tried using file explorer typing in the share name of the devices (ex. \\sharename) to see if the folder pops up? If so, you can right click it and map a drive to it for easy access.

Options
2019-12-11 23:50:56

Tony wrote

@wdpcpa 

Have you tried using file explorer typing in the share name of the devices (ex. \\sharename) to see if the folder pops up? If so, you can right click it and map a drive to it for easy access.

@Tony 

Hi Tony,  yes that's how I got the SHIELD and one NAS to pop up.  I have been trying that right along.  Also tried with the IP address.  I didn't map a drive but I did save it to Quick Access.  I think mapping a drive is a good idea and will do so.

Options
2019-12-12 23:20:56

Success.

Thanks to everyone for their help.  WD support had me do a 4 second reset on the one MYBOOK LIVE that was still not showing up and that fixed that problem.  I have now mapped network drives for my NIVIDIA SHIELD,  MBL-2TB and MBL-3TB.  I can see and transfer files between the SHIELD as well as the external drives I have attached to the SHIELD as well as the SHIELD internal storage.

Again - thanks for the patience to help this 70 year old non techie get his stuff running right.  I would have paid someone to do it but I couldn't find a local network guy with the knowledge you guys provided.

Seasons wishes to you all.

Options