Using the wall switch with Kasa lightbulbs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-10 05:12:16
Model: KL110  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I have installed 4 Kasa smart lightbulbs into a ceiling fixture. My main purpose is to be able to dim the light and control the light when we are out of town. My family and I will most likely continue to use the wall switch to turn the light on and off as opposed to using my mobile phone or Alexa. The problem is every time the light switch is turned off the lightbulbs become unresponse in both the app and with Alexia. There is no possible way I can continue to reset all four lightbulbs every day. Is this correct or will the lightbulbs reset themselves? 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Using the wall switch with Kasa lightbulbs
2019-12-10 23:56:47

@Mandamomma 

When you flip the switch to off you are cutting power to the bulbs.  When power is cut the product and its connection to the wifi are lost.  This is why you are unable to get the products to respond to the app or voice through Alexa.  Just as if the bubls were plugged into a lamp you must maintain the flow of power to the device for it to remain on and connected to the internet.  Even if the bulb is phyically off it is still drawing enough power to keep its wifi module and connection the cloud server up and operational.  So the solution is to stop using the switch and control the lights via your app/widget or voice assistant. 

Options
2019-12-11 01:01:06

@Carl "Even if the bulb is phyically off it is still drawing enough power to keep its wifi module and connection the cloud server up and operational."

I was hoping that was true. That makes it sound that if you flip the light switch back on everything should be fine. But it's not. I have to reconnect the lightbulbs each time the switch is flipped to get them to work. 

Training a family of 7 to not use the switch is difficult. I guess I'll have to tape the switch to the on position or return the bulbs. 

Options
2019-12-11 18:05:33

@Mandamomma 

By phyiscally off I mean as the light is not on.  The power flow still needs to be there though so the switch would need to remain in the on postion for the bulb's wifi and cloud features to remain active.  Sorry if i confused you there. 

Options