Disadvantages of using the same SSID?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-28 05:32:25
Model: RE220  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20190616

The new networks on the AC750 RE220 Range Extender have the SSID with a _EXT extension by default.
What are the disadvantages if I renamed them to the same SSID as on the primary router?
(the advantage is I don't have to reconfigure/reconnect my devices to a new SSID, and if the Extender is offline, the devices can still connect to the primary router)

Options
3 Reply
Re:Disadvantages of using the same SSID?
2019-12-31 19:31:22

@Natey 

Basically the disavantage is that you will have two APs broadcasting the same SSID.  If a client device is between the two APs it may have connection issues such as bouncing between the two AP or not knowing which one to connect to and not connecting at all.  This can typically be fixed by relocating the range extender further away.  Just make sure if you do it is still in a good spot range wise from the host router, otherwise range issues will arise.  

Alternativly if you have an Archer A7 or C7 Version 5 you can enable OneMesh on both the router and range extender and turn these two devices into a Mesh network removing this issue all together. 

Options
2020-01-04 13:42:09 - last edited 2020-01-04 13:44:33

@Carl 

New to Mesh, but I'll look into it.

Will a mesh node alter the MAC address of connecting devices like the TP-Link RE220 Range Extender (used in a non Mesh network) does?

Options
2020-01-09 20:34:44

I have an A7 1750 and an 1750 range extender, how do I make them into a mesh and can add a second range extender to the mesh? 

Options