Adding a new Deco mesh router/wifi while keeping old router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-03 19:39:34 - last edited 2022-09-13 19:16:02

I'm about to add a new mesh network to my home. I currently have an Asus router connected to a cable modem that provides wifi. It runs with a DCHP server serving IP addresses 192.168.1 - 250. I have both ethernet and wifi devices connected.

I want to add the mesh network, giving it a new subnet and keeping my router running, while still serving up the same IP (subnet) on the old router. The new router, I'd like to use a new subnet and then slowly migrate off my current router to the new one.

The new mesh devices (Deco M5 - TP-Link) suggest direct connection to the Modem. So, I'm hoping to connect the new deco to the modem, a switch to the deco, then plug the old router into the switch. Assign a new WAN port IP (or let the Deco's dchp server assign one). At this point i'm hoping all my devices would continue to function as is. The exception I'm thinking would be any port forwarding. (any suggestions on how to port forward over multiple subnets?)
Would this work as I defined or if not, what is the best approach to allow all my currently devices to continue to work as is, while slowly migrating over to the new Mesh network?

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Adding a new Deco mesh router/wifi while keeping old router -Solution
2020-01-07 18:50:54 - last edited 2022-09-13 19:16:02

@ChillMan 

What you can do is to connect one Deco to your existing router, you will need to set up the Deco as a router. Once the Deco is setup it will have its own LAN subnet (192.168.68.x). You can start to connect your wirelss devices to the Deco and if ports need to be forwarded, double port forwarding would need to be done. This way you can keep your existing router. Once everything is migrated to the Deco, you would just connect the Deco to the modem and not need to change anything else.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Adding a new Deco mesh router/wifi while keeping old router -Solution
2020-01-07 18:50:54 - last edited 2022-09-13 19:16:02

@ChillMan 

What you can do is to connect one Deco to your existing router, you will need to set up the Deco as a router. Once the Deco is setup it will have its own LAN subnet (192.168.68.x). You can start to connect your wirelss devices to the Deco and if ports need to be forwarded, double port forwarding would need to be done. This way you can keep your existing router. Once everything is migrated to the Deco, you would just connect the Deco to the modem and not need to change anything else.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3015

Replies: 1

Related Articles