Slow WiFi On New M9 Plus

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Slow WiFi On New M9 Plus

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Slow WiFi On New M9 Plus
Slow WiFi On New M9 Plus
2020-01-08 18:31:30
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20190821 Rel. 54023

Hi -  I just installed a Deco M9 Plus.  Easy install.  Everything worked fine after the firmware update (before that Amazon Prime Video channel was not working).

I have 300 mbs fiber service from AT&T.  With a PC plugged directly into the AT&T Arris BGW210-700 modem/router, I get 365 mbs.  Plugged into the Deco M9 which is plugged into the AT&T device, I get 365 mbs.  So AT&T is delivering and both devices are being well fed.

Using the same PC with wireless only and no VPN with the Arris' WiFi switched off, I get 20 - 30 mbs.  That is less than I can get directly from the Arris via wireless.

Using various devices throughout the house including a second Deco on the second floor, I ocassionally can get 80 mbs but also can pull 6 mbs.  About the same as with the Arris alone.

T-Link tech support told me that in addtion to the set up I did following their phone app, I either have to get AT&T to put the Arris in Bridge Mode or set it up as an Access Point.

Using the M9 as an Access point negates the free security software and seems to defeat the purpose.  AT&T uses dynamic address so not sure about the Bridge Mode.

My first thought is to box it up and return it and hope the next brand provides simple set up as promised.  But I thought I would see if anyone has experience with this issue.

Thx much in advance.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Slow WiFi On New M9 Plus
2020-01-08 20:06:43
Update: ATT put my Arris in Pass-Through mode. Only change was that the Deco wireless performance degraded to 15-20 mbs.
Options
2020-01-08 22:57:47
In case you were unaware, you can use a browser to manage your ARRIS, you do not need to wait on AT&T. 192.186.1.254 If you want to make config changes then the login info is on the product label on the side of the ARRIS.
Options
2020-01-08 23:25:57

@KingGa 

Power down the second Deco node, go into the same room of the first Deco and test the speed. If that checks out, then the second node may be too far from the first node. Move it closer to the first node. 

Options
2020-01-09 15:58:10

@DAServices 

Thx...I let ATT actually do it since there were conflicting instructions on how to set up on the web....Tom

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1247

Replies: 4

Related Articles