Usage reports on M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Usage reports on M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Usage reports on M5
Usage reports on M5
2020-01-20 14:13:02 - last edited 2020-01-20 14:48:11

Hi ,

When I use the Google WIFI Mesh system I can see Network data usage by device over a customizable period of time. Now I have the Deco M5 and I cannot figure out how to get that report from the M5. It seems I can only see the data usage by device at an instant in time. Or there is a monthly report but it only show me the # of devices connected each day of that month.  Is there a way in the app to see history usage data?

Another question related to network usage.....

When I look at the instant usage reports, I see very little usage by device. However if I look at the usage for one of the deco units (using the "internet" icon) it shows high numbers even though no usage is reported on any of the individual devices.

I'm beggining to lose trust in what the deco m5 reports in the app. Or.....am I using it incorrectly.  

It seems like the Monthly report might provide some of this info, but can I get one on demand? Or do I need to wait for the end of the month to see the report?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Usage reports on M5
2020-01-20 17:54:41

@mike53 

>> It seems I can only see the data usage by device at an instant in time. Or there is a monthly report but it only show me the # of devices connected each day of that month.  Is >>there a way in the app to see history usage data?

You're not missing anything at all. It's not a hidden feature or something that you're just missing for a menu, time period data usage or any data usage (single month or even historical) DOES NOT exist. While I don't have a M5, I own a M9 Plus. Namely it's everything is configurable from the iOS/Android application. Although in the last firmware update they created a faux web interface that seems to do very little, but it's just in your browser.

>> When I look at the instant usage reports, I see very little usage by device. However if I look at the usage for one of the deco units (using the "internet" icon) it shows high >>numbers even though no usage is reported on any of the individual devices.

Funny, I see bandwidth supposedly being utilized on devices on my app when they're sleeping or under little power consumption. This is like a video streamer that the Deco apps states is using 10mbs down or something; or another device that is completely off and using data. Just strange.

>>I'm beggining to lose trust in what the deco m5 reports in the app. Or.....am I using it incorrectly.  

You're not using it incorrectly, search the forums ... people have been asking for this basic feature for over a year. The company is adding features, but its sporadic when there are updates. Luckily for you it seems like the M5 does take a bit of preference. 

I'm debating just offloadng this relatively new router for a V1 of the Google Wifi just to have basic reporting. The only fix I've been able to do is switch the devices in "Access Point" mode and use my old router to collect my usage statistics. 

It's sad, because my WiFi drastically improved with these routers; this is entirely a software issue.

It would also be nice if the spam on the main few pages of the community messageboard could be cleaned up.

Options
2020-01-20 21:12:36 - last edited 2020-01-20 21:16:08

@FixedCroissant 

Oh wow! Thanks for the response. These seem to be pretty basic router reports that I am looking for and it looks like they are not available based on your experience. 

I installed these in router mode ealrier this week and I do like the coverage I get from them. And for sure the price is right. However, with ISPs threatening to put limits on their service, I really need to know where the network usage is coming from.Especially since I just cut the cable cord and stream all my TV now on Youtuve TV, Netflix and HBONow.  If I can't get the report I need, I may need to return them and research which mesh wifi systems provide the basic reports I need.

Can anyone from TP-Link say when this feature may come, if at all? 

Options
2020-01-22 00:02:02

Another bump for this feature.

I find it odd that there is no way to determine how many GB a device has used.

This should be added to the monthly report as a total for each device connected to the network.

I should also be able to see how many GB a device has used in real-time by day, month, year on demand without waiting for the monthly report.

This is a fundamental feature of a router. Had I know this did not exist I would of selected a different solution. I like the others am contemplating replacing the TP link wifi with something else.

I'm using the M9.

Please TPLink, if you're out there, acknowledge this request from your users and give us some feedback.

Options
2020-02-04 01:33:37

@mike53 

So, it's been roughly a week and a half and none of us have heard anything.  I have just purchased an original Google Wifi and if its simple enough, will use to replace the M9. I'll sell the M9 to cover the cost. I know there's a lot of the M9 I don't really use (the zigbee functionality), but want to have just basic functionaltiy.

I know that the M5/M9 has a bit better hardware AC2200 and a whole third band for backhaul. Still, giving the state of streaming and how much many families use it; not having some basic reporting is a complete failure. Like others have stated, getting the monthly "push notification" to my iPhone makes me laugh because I don't care how many devices hit my router; but it seems like many others have been asking this for a while.

I do believe TP-Link will eventually add this feature; whiy it's not included from day one is beyond me.

I look forward to completely unhooking my old router and consolidating the networking hardware available.  The general reviews of the Google Wifi are stellar, even better than the revised version they created just a few months ago. 

Options
2020-06-29 17:31:05
Now clue less whether to keep this router or not?? From last 9 months this feature for tracking data usage is requested by lot of users. Still tplink deco team is useless and no update on any update planned or not. Atleast team should update in the community to users whether they can provide this feature or not. Really frustrating.
Options
2020-07-06 13:42:38

@RahulB I need this as well, to understand if I can switch from fiber to 4g mobile plans....

Options
2020-08-26 00:36:45

@mike53  I have requested this feature. Please followup with ticket  ID 520484

Options

Information

Helpful: 9

Views: 6834

Replies: 7

Related Articles