Archer C7 USB Map Network Drive

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-23 13:44:09 - last edited 2020-01-23 13:45:11
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

Do I have to map the usb drive as Network Drive. I have it mapped and get "can't find network drive" when I boot my computers. Although it does show & work OK.

Thanks

Ken
Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer C7 USB Map Network Drive
2020-01-24 00:01:32

@Monk 

There was an issue with Win 10 computers and it connecting back to networked drives: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4471218/mapped-network-drive-may-fail-to-reconnect-in-windows-10-version-1809

There are some alternatives to try if you happen to have a Win 10 machine.

When I mapped the drives, I used the IP address (ex. \\192.168.0.1) hit enter, then right clicked on the share folder and mapped that.

Options
2020-01-24 14:46:57

@Monk,

As Tony says, W10 presents a different problem. SMB1 needs to be used as the router uses NETBIOS for sharing. Under Programs and Features you need to ADD WINDOWS FEATURES and select SMB 1 Client. This must be done on ALL W10 PC's as well.

An easy test to see if you need this. Open a CMD prompt (Windows Key + R and enter CMD) and then enter NET VIEW. Get and error, you need to add in SMB 1 support. However if you enter NET VIEW \\192.168.0.1 (or the IP Address of your router) it should work and show you the share name; I am running SMB 1 so both work for me:

============

C:\>net view
Server Name            Remark

------------------------------------------------
\\IRV8700              Irv's 8700
\\TP-SHARE             samba server
The command completed successfully.

C:\>net view \\192.168.0.1
Shared resources at \\192.168.0.1

samba server

Share name  Type  Used as  Comment

------------------------------------------------
G           Disk

C:\>net view \\tp-share
Shared resources at \\tp-share

samba server

Share name  Type  Used as  Comment

---------------------------------------
G           Disk

======================

You can use NET USE with SMB 1 too.

MS has removed SMB 1 from W10 Version since the Creator Update. SMB 1 is considered a Security Risk, but if you need it, you can use it. Just be sure you have an up to date Security Suite running.

Options
2020-01-24 16:11:10
Thanks for the info. I will live with it.
Ken
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1731

Replies: 3

Related Articles