TL-WR902AC change the DHCP Client Name from "TL-WR902AC" To something less obvious like IphoneX

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-WR902AC change the DHCP Client Name from "TL-WR902AC" To something less obvious like IphoneX

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-26 03:03:16
Model: TL-WR902AC  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 0.9.10.2 v008a.0 build 171229

Hello,

I have a TL-WR902AC travel router. I was testing it out at home by configuring the "Share Network". When I connected it to my home network via Wifi and cloned a device's MAC address the home router correctly saw the MAC address as the clone, however the DHCP client name was not "iphone8" as it should be, but rather "TL-WR902AC". Is there a way to change the name of the device in settings somewhere? If not you could just kick people using cloned mac's on the travel routers simply by reading that obvious client name.

This screen cap shows the name of the cloned mac access point on my home router.

https://i.imgur.com/b5hi4hT.png

Options
1 Reply
Re:TL-WR902AC change the DHCP Client Name from "TL-WR902AC" To something less obvious like IphoneX
2020-01-27 18:44:57

@SenderName 

The device name isn't coming from the MAC address but from the DHCP and internal DNS server.  What may be happening in this DHCP naming is that the router is reconizing the request from the 1st device in this case the 902AC.  Best solution would be to customize your devices name in the router itself, if your router supports that feature. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 977

Replies: 1