Archer C900 best way to block all gaming sites?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-28 19:18:39 - last edited 2020-01-28 19:20:21
Model: Archer C900  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I need to block three main game sites, WOW, Steam, and Minecraft.

I enabled Parental control on the C900 router but how can it block/blacklist these if I don't know all the actual websites these game providers use?

The Parental controls seem to allow me to enter keywords also, but if enter the three names above, will it really block them? Not much help in the router manual.

Do I need to search for some list of sites they use in order for there to be an effective block, or is there a better way?

Any help is appreciated!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer C900 best way to block all gaming sites?
2020-01-28 21:44:28

@Jefflm 

You best solution would to get a 3rd party firewall (hardware based) or some some sort of external partental control service, such as Disney Circle (though we cannot tell you if that will work or not. Only mentioning it as an example)  WOW is an online only and Minecraft can be played locally or online.  Steam on the otherhand is a platform and games are locally stored.  

Options
Re:Archer C900 best way to block all gaming sites?
2020-01-29 06:02:51 - last edited 2020-01-29 06:05:31

Thanks Carl, Are you saying that the Parental Controls on the C900 don't really block these sites? What does the actual keyword block feature do? For example, if I say block/blacklist 'WorldofWarcraft' and 'Warcraft' would it not block any sites with that word(s)in the url? Is there any way I can tell what the parental control has actually blocked? Any way to see what websites are successfully visited? System Log doesn't do that. You mention that Steam is a 'platform,' what does that mean? Most concerned about blocking WoW and Steam, and I know that if the router and internet is turned off to that device, there is no issue (last resort). 

I'm sure this comes up frequently. Hoping the C900 and TP-Link could do this for me.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1049

Replies: 2

Related Articles