I want to extend the same network, not have two networks.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-28 23:16:59
Model: RE305  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 build 20171115 Rel.

My RE305 extends the network, but that network names made by the RE305 are MyNetWorkName_2.4gEXT and MyNetWork_5GEXT. When I move around the house away from my office, I have to switch from the host network, MyNetWork, to one of the other two. What I really want it for ONE network to seamlessly go through the whole house. Is this possible with this equipment? If so, what do I need to do?

Thanks.

Dan

Options
4 Reply
Re:I want to extend the same network, not have two networks.
2020-01-29 00:17:51

@danbarkley 

That's easy enough to do.  During the setup process after you link the extender to your Host network you will see a screen with the Extended network names on it.  Just click a name and remove the _EXT.  Take care though as this does bring its own possible issues.  Because you will have two APs broadcasting the same SSID you may have some connection issues.  These mainly happen when your devices are inbetween both APs but still with in Range of both.  If you encourter intermittent connection or devices not connecting at all you will either want to relocate the extender or give it a unique SSID.

Options
2020-02-07 18:44:29

@Carl @danbarkley 

What Dan is trying to do is set up the RE 305 as a onemesh device. The specific device is listed on the Onemesh compatible products page but no mention of onemesh is made on the RE305 device page. I was directed by a tech support chat rep that RE305 is inded onemesh compatible but upon trying to set up the device after purchase, I found that information to be incorrect. I have been on hold for some from tech support at the listed phone number for 45 minutes 3 separate times with no response.

I'm deeply disappointed by the poor quality of customer service I've received and the overall poor experience with tech support. I should not know more than the tech support reps, and should not have to correct them. 

Options
2020-02-07 21:39:42

@2006yamahar6 @danbarkley 

YamahaR6, firstly you are simply assuming that is what Dan is trying to do.  Unless you are associated with Dan personally and know more about his particular situation, but since he registered in Chile and you in the United States that seems unlikely.  When a Range Extender is setup in normal Range Extender mode it has the abilty to generate its own SSID or "Clone" the SSID of the router.  Based on his post this is what Dan was speaking about and why my answer was crafted in the way that it was.  

OneMesh is another setup entirely and not only requires the Range Extender to be compatible but also a compatible rotuer.  The RE305 compatiblity with this service is dependent on the hardware version.  As the Splash page for the RE305 correctly shows only the RE305 V3 and above are compatible.  Right now only the V1 is sold in the US so that is going to be why you don't see OneMesh available.  It is not compatible with Version 1. 

Options
2021-06-21 15:32:50
Works for the R300 too. Sound advice
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 13370

Replies: 4