Range extender mayhem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Range extender mayhem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Range extender mayhem
Range extender mayhem
2020-02-02 01:13:31
Model: RE300  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello, I'm completely new here.

The situation is thus: 2 weeks ago I bought the Deco E3 from Office Depot. It set up with no problems. After a few days I realized that I needed another extender, so I bought the AC1200 aka RE300. Using the Deco app, I couldn't get the extender to work. I tried resetting it several times, moving it around the house, and also completely resetting the network.

I ended up calling tech support. They linked me to tp-link repeater. Net and I was able to configure the extender. But the extender was now (name)_EXT on the network, and for family members would need both the name and the new password, which renders the whole "mesh" concept moot. Also the new range extender doesn't show up in the app with the router and the other extender.  I'd like for the new extender to mesh with the router, as the original one did. IMO all extenders should show up in the same place in the app if they are extenders. 

One thing I tried was downloading TPLink Tether, but even after I tried merging the SSID's, the Extender isn't showing up in the right place on my app (with the other extender and the router). The easy set up was one of the reasons I purchased this system, because I'm not a software engineer by any stretch of the imagination.

Any help appreciated!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Range extender mayhem
2020-02-03 17:53:22

@Nybblet 

You are using the RE300 believing it is made to work in conjuction with the Deco mesh which is incorrect.

The RE300 would be used with a OneMesh router such as the Archer A7.

In your case you have a Deco mesh network, now you can use the RE300 but it will not be a true mesh network as they are two different things, the RE300 will work as a typical range extender. What you need is the Deco M3W (https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/deco/deco-m3w/)

The M3W is what will show up in the Deco app and in the end, you will have one complete mesh network.

Options
Re:Range extender mayhem
2021-01-03 16:26:01

@Tony I wish I'd seen this before going through the exact same faff that the original poster described! Better late than never, so thank you. M3W on the way. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1117

Replies: 2