Does router auto load balance/distribute connections when both 5ghz bands have the same SSID

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Does router auto load balance/distribute connections when both 5ghz bands have the same SSID

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-02 12:28:16 - last edited 2020-02-02 12:38:29
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: V2

I have an Archer AC4000 (A20) router and set the 3 band router to 2 SSIDs only, one name for the 2.4ghz and one (the same) name for both 5ghz.

I used a Linksys router (EA9300) before that has a smart connect feature that allows one name for both 5ghz bands and would auto balance the connections between the 2 bands. And I can see in the interface what connections are using the bands.

Does the Archer AC4000 smart feature works the same if I set the two 5ghz bands to the same SSID?

And I can't seem to see/find in the interface that shows what bands are the connections are using.

Would be nice if the interface for the wireless clients had a column showing which band is being utilize so the know if all bands are working and being used efficiently.

Thank you.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Does router auto load balance/distribute connections when both 5ghz bands have the same SSID
2020-02-03 19:07:11

@Kobe0921 

Yes, the smart connect feature for the triband works the same for 5G1 and 5G2 if there was only dual band.

The GUI does not appear to have the option of seeing which device is on what band, but the Tether app does show that.

Options
Re:Does router auto load balance/distribute connections when both 5ghz bands have the same SSID
2020-02-03 21:34:08

@Kobe0921 

If using the same SSID for both bands, how would you know which you even connected too? Not using Smart Connect that manages all 3 bands, you might always connect to the stongest one the device sees (I assume you don't see 2 of the same SSID to connect the device to?) or it could change occasionally depending where you tried to connect to the device?

You can in the A20 GUI in a browser see what is connected to what band though, just not cleanly laid out like Tether is.

All you need go to is the Advanced Status page. You'll see the wireless clients listed on the bottom 'box' on the right side. Each by name and a '>' next to at the end. You see either 2.4G, 5G, or 5G-2 for the connected SSID's.

Options
2020-02-03 21:58:23

@Tony Thank you for the info about the Tether app. I downloaded it on my phone and can see the grouping of connections by band. And yes I can see that it does load balance the connections between the two 5ghz bands of the same SSID.

Options
2020-02-03 22:05:28

@IrvSp Thank you for the reply. I have not set smart connect for all 3 bands since I have an epson and hp printer that operates at 2.4ghz and when using smart connect, it does not see my wifi. So I still need the separate 2.4ghz SSID that my printers sees. Yes I can see in the Tether app the distributing/balancing of my wireless connections between the two 5ghz bands that have the same SSID and it works great. 

Options
2020-02-04 00:13:46

@Kobe0921 

Smart Connect when enabled should manage the 3 SSID's. Since the printers are only 2.4Ghz they should still see the SSID (all 3 SSID's are set the same  and the same password under Smart Connect). That is all bands have the same values for SSID and Password.

I've used it in the past and has no problems with my 2.4Ghz only devices connecting.

I don't understand I guess your situation? I'm not inclined to use it or try it based on my understanding of Smart Connect and how it was described as 'working' here in another thread.

I don't see how you would have even distribution of devices over the 2 5Ghz bands either as there is no way to tell if the SSID's are the same which band the device is attempting to connect too?

Why I'm not using it is because of experience on another vendor's router. It used 'load leveling' which I think Tony mentioned in a thread here that is what the implementation is? I want all my AC speed devices on the 5-2Ghz SSID. N speed can go on the slower 5Ghz SSID. With Smart Connect and Load Leveling that may not happed depending on the mix of 5Ghz devices and when they try to connect and what is at that time connected to the router. It can result in a mix of device speeds on the same band. So I manage who connects where myself.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1887

Replies: 5