Archer AX6000 devices randomly stop receiving pings from other devices on my network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer AX6000 devices randomly stop receiving pings from other devices on my network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-07 06:55:23 - last edited 2020-08-26 16:46:06
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6 Build 20190822 rel.26396(5553)

So I've had this unit since about Black Friday as amazon had an amazng flash sale and I needed a new router.  The setup went well and the throughput has been fantastic.

I am having one issue that I can not for the life of me fix.  I have the router set to reboot daily becasue of this issue and short of hard resetting the router I can't get the issue to stop for more than 24 hours.

The issue is that certain devices can not communicate with other devices on the network for certain tasks mainly casting to my VIZIO television and in some cases printing to my wireless canon printer (firewalls have been checked and are not blocking connections as this works for about 14-16 hours and then stops).  Devices randomly stop replying to pings after seemingly random periods of time on my wireless network and I don't have the AP isolation feature enabled nor ANY of the "HomeCare" features on.  I do have ONE ssid shared between the 2.5/5GHz bands with smart connect enabled.  I thought maybe the devices were having issues comminication over different radio bands, but that isn't the case.  Just tonight I was casting commedy from YouTube to my TV and when it ended I wanted to queue up another show.  I couldn't because the TV no longer showed up as a device available for casting from Chrome.

I power cycled the TV (but it was clearly online and able to get to the internet). I also rebooted my laptop with no luck so I tried to ping the TV from my laptop (both the laptop and TV were on the 5GHz band so this should work) no reply from the TV and the requests just timed out.

I figured OK, I guess I need to reboot my router, and that fixed this instantly.  Does anyone have any idea why this may be happening?  It is driving me bananas because other than this and some issues with DNS resolution failures with IPV6 enabled the router has been pretty solid.

Edit: It may be that devices aren't communicating properly over diffreent bands.  When I checked again the laptop was on 2.4GHz and the TV was on 5Ghz.  Still SmartConnect is on so shouldn't the router be treating them like one SSID?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Archer AX6000 devices randomly stop receiving pings from other devices on my network-Solution
2020-08-13 20:21:01 - last edited 2020-08-26 16:46:21

@pdamasco 

If what is posted is a solution then I have no problem as it could always help other users who are having similar issues.

@Eab6287 

If the official release date is later then the beta firmware release then yes, it has those fixes. Firmware builds are formatted to be dates so it would be easy to see.

The official firmware hasn't been uploaded in the US site but our EN site shows it has the fixes with the following release notes:

New Features/Enhancement:
1. Added WPA3 feature;
2. Optimize IPv6 function, support more ISP.

Bug Fixed:
1. Fixed the bug that sometimes 2.4G wireless network will also disappear after disabling 5G wireless network and restarting DUT;
2. Fixed the bug that wireless clients can't communicate with each other under certain special environments.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Archer AX6000 devices randomly stop receiving pings from other devices on my network-Solution
2020-08-14 16:42:18 - last edited 2020-08-26 16:46:06

It looks like TP-Link just posetd the latest Firmware for August and it says it includes the fix I got from them in July. I'll intsall it tonight and make sure but I believe the release firmware should help everyone on this thread with the issue.

Archer AX6000(US)_V1_200714
Published Date: 2020-08-10 Language: Multi-language File Size: 40.73 MB

New Features/Enhancement:
1. Added WPA3 feature;
2. Optimize IPv6 function, support more ISP.

Bug Fixed:
1. Fixed the bug that sometimes 2.4G wireless network will also disappear after disabling 5G wireless network and restarting DUT;
2. Fixed the bug that wireless client can't communicate with each other under certain special environment.

Note: You will be unable to downgrade to the previous firmware version after updating this firmware.

Recommended Solution
Options
28 Reply
Re:Archer AX6000 devices randomly stop receiving pings from other devices on my network
2020-02-07 22:27:40

@pdamasco 

Have you tried disabling your smart connect on the router, have devices connect to the 5GHz and test to see if the issue still happens?

If both devices are on either band they should still talk.

Options
Re:Archer AX6000 devices randomly stop receiving pings from other devices on my network
2020-02-07 22:41:08 - last edited 2020-02-07 22:44:15

@Tony Yes I tested for about 30 minutes and that appears to fix the issue, however my roommates aren't as tech savy so I'd prefer to leave smart connect on.  I'm not sure why the router is acting as if AP isolation is on when smart connect is enabled when I have explicitely disabled AP isolation.  Has anyone else had this issue with the AX6000?

File:
AP isolation off.pngDownload
Options
2020-02-12 03:20:55

@Tony Hey Tony, after another few days passed the issue sprung up again.  Smart Connect is indeed disabled.  It happens most often with my Canon printer model MX922 and my VIZIO 50" Smart TV model m507-G1.  It seems to be an issue with the firmware that has not been identified.  I doubt it is a hardware issue since I am able to get devices to see eachother for hours or days at a time but all of a sudden certain devices can not communicate between one another but they can all access the internet without any issue whatsoever.

If any forum users with the same router are reading this, have any of you experienced similar issues?

Options
2020-02-14 18:11:41

@pdamasco 

HQ has received some feedback regarding this and they are looking into it. In the mean time we recommend disabling the feature until we release an update to optimize it.

Options
2020-02-14 19:32:15

@Tony Okay Tony.  I will try to seperate the SSIDs for now and re-test when new firmware is released.  Thank you for your help thus far and for letting me know the issue is being looked into further.

Options
2020-05-31 05:06:39 - last edited 2020-05-31 05:09:18

@Tony I just wanted let you know that even though there was a firmware update for the AX6000 on 2020-03-12 that this issue is still happening.  AP isolation isn't working properly and it doesn't matter if SmartConnect is enabled or disabled.  AP isolation seems to enable itself for some devices all on its own and still says it is off in the management console. A hard reset of the device back to factory settings also has no affect on this.  The only thing that works is to limit the device to 2.4GHz or 5GHz. You have to completely disable one band for things to work properly.  Has there been any progress on root causing this? I'd be happy to send logs and such if that could be at all helpful.

Options
2020-06-02 14:45:53

@pdamasco 

Is it still the same case if Smart Connect is disabled the issues clear up?

Options
2020-06-02 16:56:02 - last edited 2020-06-02 16:56:23

YES. Smart Connect is not causing this. It can't even be enabled if you limit the router to one frequency band and one SSID. Something else in the firmware is causing it. It is likely a bug with the AP isolation mechanism.

Options
2020-06-02 21:39:20

@pdamasco 

I would recommend following up with our support at that point so they can troubleshoot each issue you brought up.

Options
2020-06-03 00:36:01

@Tony I will go ahead and file a support ticket. Thank you for your assistance and advice thus far.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5332

Replies: 28