Noise on the powerline

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Noise on the powerline

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Noise on the powerline
Noise on the powerline
2020-02-10 17:26:52
Model: TL-PA4010  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.0.337-01-20120309 FINAL

How does noise on the powerline circuit affect communications with this device. We have a somewhat noisy system, probably due to noise from 21 inverters on the PV panels on the roof, plus the inverters communicate with the Tesla Gateway over these same lines, I believe, and on top of that, the Tesla system will raise the Hz on the whole house circuit to 61-63Hz, to throttle down the panels if the battery is charged and there's sun.

So this is some hell of a network and I ask if anyone here has some knowledge on how these device are affected by anything from pink noise to static or Hz shifts.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Noise on the powerline
2020-02-12 20:04:56

@CaribConsult 

Form the information I got the powerline devices will need a SNR of about 50 to 60 dB. If the SNR ends up being lower then that will affect speed and can also prevent adapters from communicating.

If the noise is too great alternatives such as range extenders may be better or a Deco mesh network.

Options
2020-02-13 16:12:44

@Tony Thanks very much for replying to my post. Obviously noise is a factor and we have quite a bit of it from the various inverters, gateway, Tesla PW and Enphase Envoy (a PV monitor...works nicely) and a peek inside the Gateway reveals at least two sets of ferite cores at different locations, and I put a pair on the feed to the Envoy to improve its powerline communications with the 21 inverters on the roof. Lots of signaling going on. 

I have an EOP setup of 4 TP Link 500Mbps units, and they seem to stay connected, althought throughput speeds can be anywhere from ~50Mbps to ~200+Mbps. Not exactly fibre optic, but plenty fast enough to allow the Tesla and the Envoy to report to their respective companies so I can monitor behavior with a website or a phone app.  No video or gaming or any of that high volume stuff is going over the EOP net, only data, and staying connected is the main objective.  They seem to be doing that. Do you have any idea how to measure S/N ratio on a powerline? I have a pocket scope. Do you know how this is done?  Thanks for your input

Options
2020-02-14 18:58:12

@CaribConsult 

I checked with one of our testers and you can measure the noise with a Oscilloscope which is not cheap.

A alternative is to use the powerline utliity app, and monitor the link rates, if the rates are consistant then you are good. If the link rates change values dramatically then that line has too much noise.

Options