Can I use an AC750 Range Extender to extend from a WIRED network?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-17 23:54:04

Hello,

I own a TP-Link AC750 WiFi Range Extender and a TP-Link WiFi 6 AX6000 router.  The router unfortunately has to be on one end of the house.  The other end of the house gets coverage, but speeds are inconsistent, which makes streaming quality/latency go up and down when the quality is high. (I want to use PS4 Remote Play, primarily.)

I was hoping to use the Range Extender to cover the other end of the house.  However, when I repeat the WiFi signal, my performance actually gets *worse*; the Range Extender must not be getting a great connection back to the router.

But, I actually have a fully wired setup in the basement.  I could very easily have the AC750 Range Extender connect to the AX6000 router using an ethernet cable and place it on the other end of the house in the basement directly under the TV/PS4/etc.

However, I can't seem to figure out a way to accomplish this in software.  The AC750 wants to repeat a WiFi signal; it doesn't seem to want to get an IP address over Ethernet.  I can't seem to find any instructions on how to accomplish this either.

Is there a way to do this, or should I return the AC750?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Can I use an AC750 Range Extender to extend from a WIRED network?
2020-02-21 17:13:38

@Praxis 

I am assuming you have either the RE200 or RE220.

If you do, here is the guide that will show you how to switch it to a Access Point where it receives the internet from the Ethernet connection: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1401/

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 8726

Replies: 1