C5400X - Maxed Out Address Reservation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-19 15:41:28
Model: Archer C5400X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.2

Looks like there is a maximum amount od address reservation slots of 32 devices?  Is there a way to raise this?  I have a bunch of TP-Link smart plugs and switches along with other devices and would like to ensure they are assigned an IP address reserved for their MAC address on my network.

I am surprised there is such a limit on a higher end router.  Any way to get around this or assign IPs for MAC address or devices to get aroung this 32 devices limit?

Options
5 Reply
Re:C5400X - Maxed Out Address Reservation
2020-02-21 20:44:21

@TotoyZ4 

Devices that are not able to be statically assigned an IP address leave reserved in the router. Those devices that can have their network statically assigned, configure an IP on the device itself.

Options
2020-02-21 21:16:15

@Tony 

Yeah that's an option for some devices.  However still having a max address reservation limit of 32 seems very small for a higher end router.

Also, for example on the devices I would like to have a reserved address are the TP Link smart plugs and switches....how can I define the IP to use in those devices?  All I see through the Android KASA app interface is that you can see what wifi network it is on.   There is no way to assign it an IP in there.  Any guidance on that since the TP Link router can't act as a global manager for more than 32 connected devices?

Is there no other way to assign IPs per device on the c5400x?

Options
2020-02-24 22:45:58

@Tony 

So also thinking if this is possible, since Address Reservation has a 32 device limit.  Can I use the IP & MAC Binding feature of the router to assign a IP address to a device MAC, like a TP-Link smart plug, and then when I reboot the router or device it will use that IP address I have assigned to it from the IP & MAC Binding feature?

Thinking if this would be a way to get around the Address Reservation limit of 32 devices to have the other devices I own to alway jump on the network using the IP address I assigned it in the IP & MAC Binding configuration of the router?

Options
2020-02-25 21:42:34

@TotoyZ4 

IP&MAC binding works in that it will prevent a device from being able to change it's IP address. So say you had a computer with a IP of 192.168.1.10, and a MAC address of aa:aa:aa:aa:aa. 

Now you try to change the IP on the computer to 192.168.1.11, the router will not allow access since the MAC is not the original IP so it is more of a security feature. It does not provide or reserve an IP but can be used as a extention for assigned IP addressed either from the DHCP or statically assigned on the device itself.

Options
2020-05-04 21:18:57

@TotoyZ4  I feel your pain. I also did not expect a router in this price range to have only 32 devices spots... This thing is not DD-WRT upgradable, so I am probably going to return it back. 32 devices is pathetic.

TotoyZ4 wrote

@Tony 

Yeah that's an option for some devices.  However still having a max address reservation limit of 32 seems very small for a higher end router.

Also, for example on the devices I would like to have a reserved address are the TP Link smart plugs and switches....how can I define the IP to use in those devices?  All I see through the Android KASA app interface is that you can see what wifi network it is on.   There is no way to assign it an IP in there.  Any guidance on that since the TP Link router can't act as a global manager for more than 32 connected devices?

Is there no other way to assign IPs per device on the c5400x?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1298

Replies: 5