Access Files Through VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Access Files Through VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Access Files Through VPN
Access Files Through VPN
2020-03-12 21:19:02
Model: Archer C1200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.0.4

I was able to successfully use OpenVPN to set up a private VPN on my router that I use for my home network. I'm able to access it when not home through my Android phone to browse the internet when using an unsecure WIFI hotspot. It is my understanding that I should also be able to access devices and files on my home network. How do I do this?

Here are my router settings:

Dynamic DNS

Service provider: TP_Link

Current Domain Name: xxxxx.tplinkdns.com

VPN Server

Enable VPN Server is checked

Service Type: UDP

Service Port xxxx

VPN Subnet: xx.x.x.x  255.255.255.0

Client Access: Internet & Home Network

Any help would be appreciated.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Access Files Through VPN
2020-03-13 21:53:31 - last edited 2020-03-13 21:53:45

@mtl26 

The client access being set to Internet & Home Network should give you that ability.

When you are on the local network, are you able to access data from one computer to another? And what data are you trying to get to?

Options
2020-03-16 22:46:55 - last edited 2020-03-16 22:51:43

The only thing I know how to do right now is connect to the VPN through my Android to connect to the internet. If I go to a site like https://whatismyipaddress.com/ it will look like I'm at home. I don't know how to browse the files on my PC.

Options
2020-03-17 17:05:56

@mtl26 

Since you are using an Android you will need a third party app that could access Samba. 

Given with the accessibilty of cloud technology, if you have a google account that may be the easist approach. Have files on your computer loaded to your Google Drive, that way the phone doesn't need the VPN.

But if you want to move with still accessing the files on your computer I would search for things such as "Access Windows files on Android". With the VPN setup working you are already on the local network so it is just a matter of getting an app in the phone to get to the files on your computer.

Options