How do you hook up an existing ethernet network to the Deco P9 mesh?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-15 02:04:06
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.1

I have a Comcast gateway that was providing both ethernet (to computers and printer) and wifi (to laptops, smart plugs, etc.).

I plugged the first P9 into the gateway, and turned off the gateway's wifi.

Questions:

1) Should I leave my existing ethernet network plugged into the gateway, or should it be plugged into the second port on the first P9?

2) Should I also plug the second and third P9 modules into my ethernet network, or would that just confuse them?

Options
3 Reply
Re:How do you hook up an existing ethernet network to the Deco P9 mesh?
2020-03-16 17:49:20

@Anthony2816 

I would first look at it of if I want all the features of the Deco P9 such as parental controls, qos, etc. If not, and your main purpose of the Deco is to provide Wi-Fi coverage, you can do the first setup and have the Deco in AP Mode.

The second setup is more ideal if you want the Deco to be the brain of the network. Other then having it plugged into the gateway, you would want the gateway bridged so it just passes the internet connection to the router. You really do not need to, lots of people have a router connected to another router. If anything, in the future if you notice any speed issues that would be one of the things to try. With respect to the other satallite units, you would wire those into the Ethernet switch.

Options
2020-03-16 17:55:50

@Tony 

Thanks, Tony.

The Comcast gateway doesn't allow for bridge mode, but I'm going to replace it with a modem in a few days, so as I understand it I'd plug the modem into one of the first P9's ethernet ports, and plug my existing ethernet network into the second P9 port.

Then, if I decide the P9's limited router functions are too...limited, I could place a separate router (with its wifi disabled) between the modem and first P9, and plug my ethernet network into the router, and put the P9 into AP mode?

Options
2020-03-17 15:48:54

@Anthony2816 

Exactly

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 878

Replies: 3