Force Band with Smart Connect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-19 12:03:49
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

I love this router. The range is great. But I need to troubleshoot my connection on one of my devices. It keeps lossing the internet when I am connected. I wanted to try and force my laptop to use the 2.4 GHz on this router while keeping the Smart Connect on.  I am not seeing a way to do that. I see on the mobile version of this page it says you can. https://www.tp-link.com/common/Promo/en/Smart-Connect/Smart-Connect.html

"But, this doesn't mean you've lost control over the way devices are assigned and reassigned on the network. The web portal allows you to see which devices are on each band and manually move them to whichever band you prefer"

I am not seeing that text on the desktop site and I am not seeing these settings in the router...Can anyone help? The chat support was not much help.

Thanks,

Options
5 Reply
Re:Force Band with Smart Connect
2020-03-19 19:35:00

@thatalexsilver 

Here is the FAQ we have on setting it up and what it is, there is no mention of that: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2595/

Options
2020-03-19 20:11:12
Right. So are you saying it cannot be done? But the website says it can.
Options
2020-06-06 03:54:23

@thatalexsilver 

Hello,

Did you find out how to do this? I have the same issue now. Thank you for your help.

Options
2020-06-06 10:57:27

@mland1117 no. It cannot be done. 

Options
2020-06-06 14:48:00

@thatalexsilver 

I've not seen ANY router's Smart Connect that allows that? Some can 'move' devices to equalize loads on a band, but none allow overriding the routers decision on what band to place the device?

One possibility could be to use the GUEST NETWORK for that device? Don't think Smart Connect controls that?

Another could be the change the 2.4Ghz channel, maybe that device can't handle it?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2537

Replies: 5

Related Articles