Archer C7 & PPTP VPN??

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C7 & PPTP VPN??

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Archer C7 & PPTP VPN??
Archer C7 & PPTP VPN??
2020-03-19 16:46:16
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: latest

Hi

yes so my old router was done yesterday, got myselt a tp-link instead, now all things seems to work fine except that i cannot get the PPTP VPN thing going at all. Have read the faq and followed the instructions, seems like its connecting via the VPN PPTP on the PC, but when I check IP adress with: https://integrity.st/

it does not appear to be any VPN active(have used the VPN on a now dead ASUS router and all things worked fine then, just typed in connect via PPTP and user/passw and all was running fine on that router), am i missing something here? i cant recall that i had to do the vpn setup on the pc(as instructed in the TP-link FAQ) when I used the old ASUS router, 

any ideas what to look for is welcome,

Cheers!

k.

Options
10 Reply
Re:Archer C7 & PPTP VPN??
2020-03-19 20:05:32

@Syncmaster 

The PPTP VPN feature in the router is for clients to connect to the C7 remotely, but from there when you hit the internet it will be as if you are on the C7s local network. 

Options
2020-03-19 20:23:38

@Tony 

thanksTony, but I dont exactly know what you are saying,

what i'm trying to do is to setup the vpn on/in the router so all connected devices traffic goes via the vpn tunnel in the router, this was possible with my old now dead asus router,

have seen older tp-link software/tutorials for the archer c7(yes i have spent several hours trying to get this crap going) where this type of vpn setup is really easy, but for the archer c7 new tp-link sofware it seems they've forgot a few buttons in the UI(?)

software should be getting better not worse(?), or perhaps i'm not compatible

any ideas? 

Options
2020-03-19 21:45:36

@Syncmaster 

The VPN server on the router is to allow remote devices to connect to the router securely.

You want the router to provide a VPN connection to connected devices to the internet, the C7s VPN does not work that way.

The Archer C7 has a VPN passthrough only so you can load your client devices with their own VPN client which they could then connect to which ever VPN service  you are subscribed to.

Options
2020-03-21 12:19:02

@Tony

ok, thanks Tony! but in the past this router has been able to set the vpn directly in the router itself, yes(?)

since this router is my new special project i have searched quite a bit trying to find a solution, here is one of them:

https://www.wirelesshack.org/how-to-setup-a-tp-link-archer-c7-router-as-a-vpn-for-all-home-devices.html

in that tutorial the vpn is set in router, and all "downstream" devices uses the vpn, exactly what i want, but as i have newer version of the same router(and its software) for god knows what reason this option has been disabled?? how about that?

is it possible to downgrade the software to version v2(or whichever version that has the option of setting the vpn in the router itself) for v5 ?

Cheers!

k.

Options
2020-03-23 19:46:06

@Syncmaster 

The router does have the L2TP and PPTP option in the internet settings to potentially connect to a VPN service, but provider have stopped supporting them.

Here is one about Nord VPN: https://support.nordvpn.com/General-info/1221989272/Why-we-have-discontinued-L2TP-and-PPTP-protocols.htm

The alternative is to run the VPN on the local client.

Options
2020-03-24 19:09:01

@Tony 

thanks Tony,

so it is possible to do with my router then? As for discontinued Pptp vpn, in my case its not so since i have the service provided by my ISP, and its still working if I can find a way to make it so with this router, Pptp it not the best or fastest solution for vpn but work well for my needs(well, att least it did upuntil my old router caved in)

So if you have a solution please let me know, 

Cheers!

k.

Options
2020-03-25 18:17:15
Tony you say that this router has the option to connect via PPTP, i have set connection type to PPTP with my user/passw, still does not work, does this mean that the PPTP with VPN connection does not work then? I do have connection to internet via PPTP, but the VPN part does not work, I really would like to know whats wrong with this, thanks in advance! k.
Options
2020-03-25 19:59:56

@Syncmaster 

What is the service you are connecting to?

If a ISP what is your ISP?

What region are you located at?

Options
2020-03-25 20:10:51

@Tony 

ISP: bahnhof.se

service: lexvpn.integrity.st

Cheers!

k.

Options
2020-03-25 22:03:12

@Syncmaster 

I looked it up, it seems the VPN supports either PPTP, OpenVPN and Wireguard.

I would recommend getting a hold of our Sweedish suppot team, they likely have information regarding PPTP and if it can work with the C7:

https://www.tp-link.com/se/support/contact-technical-support/#Hotline-Support

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2276

Replies: 10

Related Articles