Archer C5400X w/ latest firmware, drops wi-fi connectivity to internet all the time.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C5400X w/ latest firmware, drops wi-fi connectivity to internet all the time.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
76 Reply
Re:Archer C5400X w/ latest firmware, drops wi-fi connectivity to internet all the time.
2020-11-02 23:12:10

@Phil1234 I ended up returning the router to the retailer.  BUT because I was curious (and wanted this to router to work), I bought another one ... used, to see if it was the hardware, and had similar issues at the beginning.  I ended up resetting all my network gear, and had to remap the admin IP on my managed switch but things started to work better.

I'm assuming you're running it as a router.  Perhaps try and run it as an AP (you'll need another router) and see if you still have connectivity issues, as well, I'd suggest checking for conflicts on internal IP's for any managed infrastructure on your network and see if there are any issues. Not sure if this helps, but perhaps it gives you a bit of inspiration to check something overlooked or innocuous (like a switch).

I still need to restart this new (used) router to maintain peak performance (usually restart at least once a month), especially after I add another device to the network (smart devices are impacted the most, some don't work at all until i reboot the router), but it is running smoother.  i still get random disconnects when I try to use the mobile app for admin use, but it's much more stable now.

Good luck!

Options
Re:Archer C5400X w/ latest firmware, drops wi-fi connectivity to internet all the time.
2020-11-19 03:43:01

@Phil1234 thank you for sharing.

I have this same issue and spent several days looking for a solution. I disabled 5G2 and I've had a stable connection for the last two days, hope it keeps that way. Now I have a tri-band router that only works when configured as dual-band!

By the way, if there is anyone from TP-LINK reading this thread, I found so many entries complaining about his issue and there is no response at all. Do you really care about your customers?

Options
2020-11-29 00:09:35

@nmistre 

Yet another person with the same issue.... I played about setting channels disabling features.  It's the firmware, one of the below fixes, appears to have also crippled the wifi management in the process.  Im going to put the old verision back on when i get time i think.  (not ideal as its a very old version). 

New Features/Enhancements:

1. Improved the stability and performance of the device;

2. Optimized the compatibility with some browsers;

3. Newly add support of GeForce Now.

Bug Fixed:

1. Fixed the bug that MAC clone will turn the PC to no internet in special cases;

2. Fixed the bug that sometimes MAC address will turn to other one;

3. Fixed the bug that office file can't be saved in the Samba Sharing Folder;

4. Fixed the bug that OpenVPN server won't work after reboot in special cases;

5. Fixed the CVE-2017-14491 DNS heap buffer overflow problem;

6. Fixed the bug that Homecare function will has impact on performance in special scenario;

7. Fixed the bug that portal will still jumping out after verifying in the guest network.

Options
2021-01-12 23:12:32

@Tony 

My router is having kind of the same issue.  Mine is where it keeps dropping all my Alexa dots but not my Fire TV sticks.  I have 5 Alexa Echo dots and 4 Fire TV sticks.  As I am still watching my Fire TV Stick I can ask the Echo Dot a question and it tells me it is having a problem with the internet right now.  I then have to unplug it and wait about 5 minutes for it to connect for about 1 hour before it drops again. 

Options
2021-01-12 23:12:43

@Tony 

My router is having kind of the same issue.  Mine is where it keeps dropping all my Alexa dots but not my Fire TV sticks.  I have 5 Alexa Echo dots and 4 Fire TV sticks.  As I am still watching my Fire TV Stick I can ask the Echo Dot a question and it tells me it is having a problem with the internet right now.  I then have to unplug it and wait about 5 minutes for it to connect for about 1 hour before it drops again. 

Options
2021-02-02 14:14:50

@R7000_Guy I have been having the same issue for months now. I've tried reverting back the original firmware, no joy. I've tried the beta firmware, no joy. I've tried manually adjusting the wifi channels, disabling bands, customizing QoS and all the other suggestions I've seen on these boards...no joy.  I have a $500 CAD brick at home with no recourse. When will TP Link address this issue with a stable firmware?  Looks like I'll be on my way to purchase an ASUS RT-AX88u. ASUS continues to release new firmware for routers that are 5 years old! Looks like TP is happy with taking your money and running for the hills.

Options
2021-02-02 16:55:21
I finally solved it: I returned it and bought an AX86U from Asus. It has great performance and have had any issue like this. They update firmware frequently and has much better support.
Options
2021-02-02 17:10:11

TP-Link replaced mine under warranty and I haven't had any issues since.  I have a ton of Kasa devices and two TP-Link routers running everything so I would like to stick with the brand but I will for sure be evaulating all of my options after this issue and the customer support received. 

If I didn't have prior networking experience the customer service agent would have completely blown me off and I would still have a broken router.  I had to question every solution he presented due to it not making sense and when he ran out of scripted answers he finally submitted the replacement order.  

Options
2021-02-15 21:38:20
Still no word from tplink on this. I really want to use the 2nd 5g SSID but have to leave it turned off due to this bug. At least i found a work around which lets me use the router as a mid level router. I like the look of the archer ax11000, but i am a little nervous in case there is the same bug.
Options
2021-03-01 00:33:46

@Tony Please bring this up with the development team. This issue must be resolved. Maybe they can fix the NAT loopback on the LAN when they're at it? 2 birds, one stone!

Thank you.

Options
Related Articles