How to add ethernet cable to additional Deco unit?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-24 11:20:51
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Using ethernet cables, I have a cable modem attached to a router (whose wifi is disabled), and that's attached to my first Deco P9 unit. The other two P9s are attached to the first only by wifi and the powerline connection. The P9s are running in Access Point mode, not Router mode. This provides good coverage for my house, but poor in the garage.

I thus want to add a 4th Deco unit for the garage. Since I'm unable to purchase a single P9, I bought an M5 unit. I have an ethernet cable running out to the garage location where the M5 will be installed. My question is whether the other end of the ethernet cable can be attached to my router like this:

Or whether it has to be attached to the first P9 unit like this:

My understanding from the FAQ is that it's okay for the M5's ethernet cable to be attached to the router instead of the first P9 since I am running the P9s in Access Point mode. Is that correct?

Options
2 Reply
Re:How to add ethernet cable to additional Deco unit?
2020-03-24 20:27:58

@Anthony2816 

All Decos will stem from the main Deco, so the second picture would be the correct setup.

Options
Re:How to add ethernet cable to additional Deco unit?
2020-03-24 20:37:31

@Tony Thanks for the reply, Tony. The reason I thought the first layout might work is because I'm using the units in Access Point mode, and the FAQ has this entry. Is it not correct?:

Q1: Can I connect all the Deco units directly to my home modem/router?

In Router mode:

Only the main Deco could be connected to your home modem/router. Other slave Deco units should be connected behind the main one, just as the “Star Network” shows. If not, they may be in a network loop and cause unexpected dropout issues.

In Access Point mode:

You can connect all the Deco units directly to your home modem/router/switch as you want. The system will work as expected.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1960

Replies: 2

Related Articles