Parental Control settings and HomeCare confusion

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-25 22:27:25 - last edited 2020-03-25 23:14:07
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6 Build 20200121

I just got a new TP router and none of the Parental Controls look like the Knowledgebase articles.  It's an AX50 (working great with connectivity).
When I use the browser to edit the router settings, and click on "Parental Controls" it no longer has any controls within the router.  It's just a static page telling me to use the Tether app, which gives access to HomeCare settings.  I did that, but the controls in the app seem really basic compared to what you could do before, when the web filtering was right in the router controls.  Also confusing; the TPLink web site describes a "HomeCare Pro" service, but I don't see a way to manage my HomeCare subscription.  The whole system seems to put distance between the user and the Parental Control settings.
Are there any home routers in the TP line-up that let you change Parental Controls in the browser interface, rather than the Tether app?

Thanks!

Bridgecross

Options
5 Reply
Re:Parental Control settings and HomeCare confusion
2020-03-26 17:36:08

@Bridgecross 

Currently the AX50 is implementing the app only HomeCare featue. The AX6000 allows the use of HomeCare via the GUI.

Options
2020-03-28 00:00:49

@Tony Thanks, that's good to know.  On the AX6000, can you program real firewall rules (block specific sites)?  And is there a limit to the number of rules?

Options
2020-03-30 14:21:30

@Bridgecross 

With the AX6000, you can list specific sites. It can take some messing with to get the URL. If I remember correctly I had to use www.sitename.com when I tried other variations it didn't work. Another factor I think was if the site is cached in the browser that can still load it.

Options
2020-11-23 19:06:14

@Tony 

Is this still accurate? I'm shopping for a router where I can set up blocks for my kids for certain game websites.

The AX50 is listed on https://www.tp-link.com/us/homecare/#overview as one of the supported models, that site claims "Site blocking" as one of the features, and I don't see any call-out when comparing

*   https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-ax50/

and

*   https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-ax6000/

saying that one has per-site blocking while the other doesn't. Is this data incomplete, did they do an update since 2020-03, or am I misunderstanding?

Thanks,

Johann

Options
2020-11-24 17:40:30

@JohannH 

Both have HomeCare which is able to block categories, apps, and sites. If that does not work, you can look at the insights which show all sites visited, you can specifically look to block it there too.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2189

Replies: 5