Deco M9 plus install with existing CenturyLink modem and router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-27 01:41:57
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Having difficulty setting up new deco m9 pucks with existing CenturyLink modem and router. Any advice. 

Sean

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco M9 plus install with existing CenturyLink modem and router
2020-03-27 15:00:59

@SeanP 

Three ways to go about it, but one of the Decos units must be wired to the router:

1. Modem > router > Deco (router mode) -- Wi-Fi -- Deco 2

\-- Wi-Fi -- Deco 3

2. Modem > router > Deco (AP Mode) -- Wi-Fi -- Deco 2

\-- Wi-Fi -- Deco 3

3. Modem > Deco (router mode) -- Wi-Fi -- Deco 2

\-- Wi-Fi -- Deco 3

If you want to keep your router and have all the Deco features avaialble go with the first. If you just want to have the mesh network and Wi-Fi coverage, not caring about most of the Deco features go with the second. If you want to replace your router and have the Deco be the main router go with the third setup.

Options
2020-03-27 15:35:01

@Tony 

Thank you!

I connected the Main Deco directly to the CenturyLink Router and have the other Deco setup now too!  However, I now have two separate WIFI networks (CenturyLink and Deco).  So I have some of my devices connected to CenturyLink WIFI and the Others to Deco WIFI.  Do you foresee any issue with that?  Will it create any confusion between devices?

Thanks.

Sean

Options
2020-03-27 22:00:03

@SeanP 

I assume the Deco is mainly providing the Wi-Fi so in that case, make the Deco Wi-Fi and password the same as your main router, then disable the Wi-Fi on your main router. That way all your devices should jump over to the Deco. 

This saves you having to reconnecting everything to the new network. Make sure to not have both with the same name because then your devices will prob go back and forth dropping connectino every time.

Options
2021-02-03 15:49:42

@Tony 

Hello - to start off - I am not very tech savvy - so in layman's terms can you help me out.  We have a Centurylink modem/Wifi in our house. We want to add the tp-link Deco M9 plus ( AC2200) to bypass ( transparent bridge ?)  the Wifi .  What steps ( as detailed as possible )  do I need to take to accomplish this?  Thanks! 

Options
2021-02-04 23:16:38

@JB70 

1. Connect one Deco to the Centurylink modem/Wi-Fi

2. Configure the Centurylink to bridge mode so it turns your modem/router to only be a modem

3. Set up the Deco as you normally would using the Deco app: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1592/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4092

Replies: 5