[BUGS] AX1500 Network Map connection icons are wrong and other GUI sloppiness

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-27 03:24:27 - last edited 2020-03-27 17:39:55
Model: Archer A10  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.2 Build 20190809 Rel. 28188(5553)

I decided to try out the "Smart Connect" option...

However, when I looked at the connected devices on the Network Map, I am seeing total nonsense.  For example, my TV and Thermostat are connected by the 5 Ghz wifi, but the icons indicate they are connected via hardwired ethernet port.   Impossible.  Nest Thermostats only connect via wifi, and my TV is not connected by wire.

So then I turned off the "Smart Connect" option and rebooted the router.  This made it worse.  Now it's showing my Samsung kitchen range and refrigerator connected via ethernet, but these devices only connect to wifi via the 2.4 Ghz band.  

Anyway, I noticed that the "Smart Connect" option uses the same SSID for both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands but the options for channel, width, and mode settings are missing. In order to regain these missing options for each band, I turned off the "Smart Connect" option, but I purposely set the SSID & password to the same for both 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands.  I hope this is not an issue too?

Obviously, when using the same SSID for both bands and if you have a device that is able to connect to either one, it would be important to be able to look at this list and see the actual connection method, rather than a nonsense icon indicating an impossible connection.

-----------------

While I'm at it, let's check out the DHCP listing.  Notice how page 1 is showing everything neatly lined up in columns...

Now notice how it looks on page 2 where everything is pushed over by one column for some reason....

I've only had this router for 24 hours and already identified at least three GUI bugs that affect the user experience to various degrees.   This is all just sloppy and disappointing.

EDIT:  The second bug with the columns is only being seen in Safari and it clears on redraw when the window is resized.  However, it comes back on reload.

Options
19 Reply
Re:[BUGS] AX1500 Network Map connection icons are wrong and other GUI sloppiness
2020-03-27 15:06:16

@Sparky672 

Thank you for pointing those out.

Have you tried using different browsers and devices to verify if it is coming from the router or the computer being used?

Options
Re:[BUGS] AX1500 Network Map connection icons are wrong and other GUI sloppiness
2020-03-27 17:38:06 - last edited 2020-03-27 17:40:52

Tony wrote

@Sparky672 

Thank you for pointing those out.

Have you tried using different browsers and devices to verify if it is coming from the router or the computer being used?

@Tony 

The first bug where the icons are wrong is being seen on Safari, Chrome, and Firefox.  I also can see the problem in iOS.  This is definately coming from the router.  I've rebooted the router and the icons are still wrong.  This is obviously a big issue if I need to see how a device is connected... right now, I cannot trust anything I see on this screen.  The accuracy of the information on the entire screen is in question.

The second bug where the columns are shifted on the DHCP list page 2.  This is only an issue in Safari.  Chrome and Firefox are showing it fine.  However, this too is obviously a router GUI bug since the HTML for these screens is coming from the router.  If Safari is behaving differently than the other browsers, then your HTML might not be fully compliant with markup standards.  Note that when I resize the Safari window, the issue goes away on redraw, but when I reload the page the issue comes back.  This is not a huge issue since it has no effect on performance or accuracy of information.

There are more GUI bugs, but these are being addressed in another thread.

Thank you.

Options
2020-03-28 02:17:43

@Tony 

So after 24 hours, I'm still seeing the issue.  The Nest Thermostat is showing Wifi, but the three Samsung appliances are not showing Wifi icons despite being connected only wirelessly.  And the TV is being recognized with a phone icon.

Then two iphones are not being shown as two phones.  Only one is shown with a phone icon...

Options
2020-03-30 14:25:09

@Sparky672 

One of our techs tried to reproduce the issue but could not. They wanted to follow up with you directly.

Please look at your direct messages for more information.

Options
2020-04-01 18:32:53 - last edited 2020-04-02 02:58:32

Tony wrote

@Sparky672 

One of our techs tried to reproduce the issue but could not. They wanted to follow up with you directly.

Please look at your direct messages for more information.

@Tony 

Because of the time difference between Hong Kong and Chicago, I made myself available at the last minute, at 8 PM last night, and the whole session lasted nearly 2 hours.  This buggy GUI issue is not critical to me, and since it is obviously some kind of a bug or design flaw, I thought I was doing TP-Link a big favor by allowing them full access to my computer, to play in my terminal, to close my browser windows and mess up my tabs, to install the Wireshark application, to use my Network Utility, and to click back and forth endlessly between the various router settings screens. 

1.  The wrong icons one-by-one fixed themselves over a period of the previous days and by the time this screen session started last night only one wrong icon was left... the Samsung Stove.  The tech had me cycle power to the stove and the icon fixed itself.  Seriously, I could have done that myself without talking to Hong Kong for two hours... the whole point of not resetting any network devices previously was so that TP-Link could SEE the problem for themselves and maybe learn something more than what I already showed them in screenshots.  I guess I was wrong about that.

2.  The engineer could not reproduce the issue because he claimed to be unaware the whole thing was caused by activating the "Smart Connect" option.  This is pretty critical bit of information that I clearly mentioned here in this thread.

3.  While I had him in the screen-sharing session, I wanted to know why two devices connected to the Ethernet ports also were not showing up in the devices list.  This is also abviously a bug since these devices should be showing on the list, and yet this engineer was acting like he was doing me the favor.  I made him "uncomfortable" simply by asking if we "found a bug?"  Like I said, I thought I was helping TP-Link by allowing full access and two hours of my time to troubleshoot these GUI bugs.

I must say that while I appreciate TP-Link's great interest in the bug report, I'm somewhat disappointed in the arrogant, unappreciative attitude towards my valuable time.  Although he did apologize by the end of it, FWIW.

The full chat transcript below:

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (20:15):
Hi there
This is Fitz senior engineer from TP-Link support

John K. (20:15):
hello
right now the only icon still showing incorrect is Samsung-Range
it's connected with 2.4 wifi but icon shows ethernet

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (20:16):
May I ask what's the samsung range?
a Range Extender?

John K. (20:17):
It's a large kitchen appliance.  Samsung Oven/Stove combo
is called a Range in the US

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (20:17):
I see~

John K. (20:18):
Icons only went wrong afer I tried the "Smart Connect" option.  before that, they were all correct

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (20:18):
but they didn't recover after disable smart connect
right?

John K. (20:18):
right
it's been days and they slowly came back except for the Samsung Stove
Can't trust this screen if these connections don't report correctly at all times

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (20:20):
lol~ I think in this case, it could do have effects with our Smartconnect logical

John K. (20:20):
yes.  that's when it started being a problem

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (20:20):
When I check the problem from our side, I didn't use the Smart Connect for checking
I should give that a check too

John K. (20:21):
right... that's how I reported the problem in your online forum

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (20:23):
hereis the problem

John K. (20:23):
what is the problem?
browser HTM L issue

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (20:26):
I shallcheck this problem by the Wireshark,can we get this one installed?

John K. (20:30):
i'm rying to launch it

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (20:30):
thanks~

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (20:35):
Hi there, Can we reboot the Range for once?
So it can rejoin the network\

John K. (20:35):
there is no reboot unless I shut off the main breaker for it

power off then power on,XD

John K. (20:35):
stand by

ok
I want to open a command in your system
to check the connection with the Range

John K. (20:37):
ok

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (20:38):
it seems the range has recovered...

John K. (20:38):
now Range is showing Wifi
As per previous screenshots from several days ago, a lot of these icons were completely wrong

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (20:38):
Just after the smart connect, right?

John K. (20:38):
yes
immediately after

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (20:39):
ok, I will check it by our side later
and 
let me check the dhcp list again
The Range get the IP address again from the Router, so the status also come back, I think\

John K. (20:41):
I have four things plugged into ethernet ports.  why does it only show two?  Dish and MagicJack correct.  But a ethernet switch and a netgear router both missing.  HP printer connected to ethernet switch

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (20:42):
are they offline or wait for activation?

John K. (20:42):
192.168.1.101 and .102 are printers on switch and .102 was off until just now.  I woke up .101
Netgear router is always on but not shown since smart connect
192.168.1.99 is netgear router
yes... where is .102

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (20:43):
The HP .101 seems showing by now after activation
.102 was off until just now.
if it's still offline?
DHCP server is also not showing

John K. (20:44):
should be powered up now

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (20:45):
should we wait a little longer time for it to boot up?

John K. (20:45):
i fiddle with ethernet cords
there it is

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (20:49):
ap mode?

John K. (20:50):
yes

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (20:52):
can we check the MACaddress of the netgear router?
should be the effect of static IP without arp packet

John K. (20:54):
so why did that go away since smart connect turned on?  I used to have it because as you can see I renamed it
and 102 never shows in the list

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (20:54):
102 is also static IP by it self?

John K. (20:54):
yes, 102 is prgrammed into the printer
101, 102, and 99 
are statid

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (20:55):
can we get the MAC address of 102?

John K. (20:55):
static
I don
I don't know where... hang on

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (20:55):
ok

John K. (20:56):
no idea

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (20:56):
let me see if I can find it out

John K. (20:57):

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (20:57):
here we go~

John K. (20:59):
I never named it because it never showed up before

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (20:59):
Let's see if  we can find it

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (21:12):
can we try to push a test file to the .102 printer? it seems there's no any packet sending from the .102 first~

John K. (21:14):
102 printer is now printing.

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (21:14):
Thanks

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (21:32):
There it is

John K. (21:33):
why all that trouble??  Why are these things not working?
shouldn't the network map be automatic?
garage-netgear vanished after smart control, and 102 was never there before you did the binding

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (21:35):
... I'm sorry about the bad experience

John K. (21:35):
makes me wonder if I should be binding 101 too.  101 and 102 go through same switch.
So there are bugs in the router software??

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (21:36):
the 102 didn't show up in the learning of ARP process
so it was taken as not exist

John K. (21:37):
but why??? should this not be working by itself without these issues?

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (21:37):
I'm not the RD engineer, so I have  to say I also don't know about the basic level reason too

John K. (21:37):
looks like a bug to me

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (21:37):
sorry again for the bad experience again.

John K. (21:38):
plus all the goofy icons that went wrong after smart control
I accept your apology... I just would like to know what is going to happen now?  Is somebody going to fix this soon?

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (21:39):
i will feedback to RD engineer for the smart connect and connection type error after I verify it.

John K. (21:40):
but really... I don't understand why one item needs this binding... can I ever turn that off?

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (21:40):
I was just trying to help solve your problem
you can turn it off

I appreciate that. 

definitely~

so if I turn off binding, everything will continue to work?

the arp binding is to solve the .102 cannot be found
let we give it a check shall we?

John K. (21:41):
yes... I know.  But one item in my network now requires it all the time???
Looks like router has a huge bug

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (21:42):
not sure what to tell, i feel kind of awkward talking to you after trying to solve the problem
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII know 
ok?

John K. (21:43):
I am confused.  Either router is working normally or it has a bug.  Just tring to get you to answer that
So there is a bug?

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (21:44):
noi \
dasf
s'a
sad f' 
tried and have solved your problem 
Thanks
\Have a good night

John K. (21:44):
Why did this not show up by itself in the list?

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (21:45):
Can I say I also don't know by this time?
Can you stop asking me like pushing that hard?
It really relaly let me feel uncomfortable

John K. (21:45):
???  I just spent almost two hours of my evening on this.

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (21:46):
I also spent two hours and try to help you

John K. (21:46):
I am not being paid so sorry you are uncomfortable

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (21:47):
here it is , without the binding

John K. (21:47):
ok thank you.  please report this to your superiors.  Thank you.

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (21:48):
This could have effect with the printer's response status
So ca nyou help take the .102 printer to power save mode?

John K. (21:48):
printer too slow you mean?  I do not have option to sleep it by force

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (21:50):
How can we manage this one?
Like changing the network parameter

John K. (21:51):
It has setting built in to sleep after x minutes... not sure how long.
change network IP for printer?

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (21:52):
nope just checking the network parameter

John K. (21:53):
ok
printer does not have a web portal

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (21:54):
ok

John K. (21:58):
It's on the list without any special settings so I am glad about that.  Please just let your team know about how it refused to show up easily.  Perhaps this is something they can improve?  Thank you.

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (21:58):
The Netgear route need to be added because it's working in the AP mode that is taken as kind like a wireless switch.

I see.  I understand that is special case.

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (21:58):
....Sorry again for my bad to you

Ok thank you
Please forward to team.  Looking forward to upcoming enhancements.

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (22:00):
Please let me know if there's still problem later
I will also would like to help check it out and work with RD engineer to solve it for you

John K. (22:00):
ok... will monitor this situation and let you know

Thanks a lot

John K. (22:00):
thanks

Good night~

John K. (22:01):
goodnigh

WIN-3E3G118AMSS (22:01):
bye

Options
2020-04-01 20:58:39 - last edited 2020-04-01 23:42:27

@Tony 

After all that, we still have problems.  I really think the TP-Link engineers should take a long hard look at this.  

Three are now showing the LAN icon where there should be Wifi...

And within the QoS section too.  

Shows "LAN" where it should be a Wifi connection...

Options
2020-04-02 16:03:50

@Sparky672 

Please continue to follow up with them as that is your direct contact.

Options
2020-04-02 16:19:33

Tony wrote

@Sparky672 

Please continue to follow up with them as that is your direct contact.

@Tony 

Yes.  Continuing to help TP-Link troubleshoot their router as you can see. 

Me:

Hello Fitz -

After our screen-sharing session last night, I checked the router today.   The Samsung Range is again showing a LAN icon, and the Samsung TV is also showing a LAN icon, but they are both really connected to Wifi.  Then in the QoS section, the icons are also wrong for these; showing “LAN" where it should be showing Wifi.  

I did NOT touch the Smart Connect option since we worked on this last night.  There is clearly some kind of bug within this product or it would be showing the correct connection icons at all times without special intervention.

See attached screenshots and please let your team know that they should be thoroughly examining this product’s firmware for bugs.

Response:

Dear John,
Could you help check out if the Samsung TV and Range has get internet correctly by the time that they are recognized as connected from Ethernet connection?
I have feedback your case to our RD engineer for helping find it out together.
Will let you know after getting update from RD engineer, shall we?
Thank a lot

Best Wishes

Fitz

Me:

I’m confused about what you’re asking me to do.   The Samsung Range, Samsung TV, and Nest Thermostat are only ever connected to Wifi.  None of these devices have an Ethernet port, but yet on the device screen, the Ethernet icon is shown.  Yes, they are all presently connected to the Internet at this same time as I can see these devices in their respective iOS apps.  

I just checked again, and now only the Samsung Range and Samsung TV are showing the ethernet icons.

Options
2020-04-02 17:15:37

@Sparky672 

We thank you for continueing to work with our support. This is an issue we have not came across, and the more information they have to work with the better chance they have to look at adderssing your issue.

Options
2020-04-06 00:52:56 - last edited 2020-04-06 00:55:47

@Tony

I have not heard anything back from the factory but I'd like to document my continued observations here.

1.  Samsung Stove, Samsung Refrigerator, Nest Thermostat, and Samsung TV are all connected via Wifi but these will randomly show the Ethernet icon.   There is no pattern to this... they show Ethernet icon one day and the Wifi icon on another day.  Resetting the connected device clears up the icon.  However, rebooting the TP-Link router has the opposite effect... after reboot, all of these icons are incorrect.

2.  Three devices connected via the Ethernet ports and have static IP addresses.  Another router and two HP printers connected through an Ethernet switch.  These icons are correct but these devices just drop off the connected device list and do not come back.  These are all working connected devices that I can ping from my computer.  But only after I ping these addresses from the System > Diagnostics screen will they show up on the devices list.

Clearly the GUI has some bugs and I've been diligently trying to help TP-Link solve these issues, however, so far it does not seem like they are taking any of this very seriously.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2529

Replies: 19

Related Articles