Cannot connect to Internet, DNS server not responding

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-28 06:44:59 - last edited 2020-03-30 18:48:30
Model: TL-WDR3600  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Thought I'd try a TL-WDR3500 that I bought a few years ago but never used. I went through the web-based setup but could not conect to the Internet. I reset the router to default & tried again but still could not connect. I tried multiple WAN Connection Types but to no avail. When I trouble shoot through Windows it always says The DNS server is not responding.

I have a DSL modem and it is set for PPP on the modem. My old D-Link router internet connection type is set to Dynamic IP, and that combination works.

The TP-Link router detects the WAN Connection type as PPPoE, but that does not work. Doesn't matter if the Secondary Connection is set to Disabled or Dynamic IP.

If I change the WAN Connection type to DHCP it still does not work. And again it doesn't matter if the Secondary Connection is set to Disabled or Dynamic IP.

Any suggestions on a setting that perhaps might be wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Cannot connect to Internet, DNS server not responding-Solution
2020-03-30 10:09:25 - last edited 2020-03-30 18:48:30

I got it working & not sure what I did differently. Maybe it's the order in which things are done in the setup screen. The setup has you do WAN first then LAN. I changed what the WAN detected then went to the LAN screen & changed the router's IP address.

But think I really had to do the LAN setup first & change the router's IP address, then go back & have WAN detect the proper connection type. Not sure if I previously tried that but it works now.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Cannot connect to Internet, DNS server not responding-Solution
2020-03-30 10:09:25 - last edited 2020-03-30 18:48:30

I got it working & not sure what I did differently. Maybe it's the order in which things are done in the setup screen. The setup has you do WAN first then LAN. I changed what the WAN detected then went to the LAN screen & changed the router's IP address.

But think I really had to do the LAN setup first & change the router's IP address, then go back & have WAN detect the proper connection type. Not sure if I previously tried that but it works now.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2258

Replies: 1