TP Link Cloud Account Is a Confusing Diasater!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-29 18:43:05

Hi I've used tplink products for  awhile. I got some kasa smart plugs which work well but I needed to set up a TP Link cloud account. So recently I got the Deco M3 pack mesh router. I realize this product is designed for ease of use but I'm more of a techie and prefer a browser interface.  Got it working but setup raised some concerns for me. I've got a few smart home devices and these are connected to the LAN setup by my M3 mesh router. I wanted to isolate this LAN from my PC's which are connected to a separate subnet LAN. I really don't want to allow remote access to these. Just my smart devices.

Anyway the first flag that was raised I needed to use my account which I set up for kasa to manage the M3 router via a browser. For me, the ability to manage the M3 router is severely lacking. I would like to set my own DNS and use NOIP DDNS. So I'm thinking of replacing the M3 router with an Archer A7 V5 router that supports OneMesh and seems to have the configuration features I want.

So I'm trying to check it out and can't get anyplace.

1st trying to use www.tplinkrepeater.net in firefox just redirects me to the router not to the web. Might just be firefox redirecting from a remebered URL so I used a browser that I hadn't connected to the router and this does get me to the web but it says my account is suspended. so is tplinkrepeater.com for deco mesh.

2nd trying to understand what the Archer A7 V5 will do, so I try to connect to tplinkwifi.net. same redirection problem. But even when I use either Edge or IE - which I never use except for trouble shooting, it brings up my router on my subnet which happens to be an Archer A7 V2. This router seems to have everything I want except OneMesh. Okay with that as I only need the Mesh capability on the LAN that has my smart home. 

Now this last problem came from my desktop pc which uses ethernet so i can't get directly to Mesh Lan. So i use a laptop which puts me on my Mesh wifi LAN and trying to get to tplinkwifi. net i get an error message that seems to tell me to connect to my router which supports OneMesh, not my M3 router  DecoMesh.

Seems I want to move to OneMesh from DecoMesh and my M3 extenders will work with the Archer A7 V5, a real router. How can I verify this in advance. Or do I need to buy the the Archer A7 V5 try it out and if it doesn't work, return it. Seems kinda dumb to do this, should be able to get the info from TP Link.

Thanks for any help.

Options
9 Reply
Re:TP Link Cloud Account Is a Confusing Diasater!
2020-03-30 23:03:57

@brucewol 

I think given the configuration or control over your network it would be best using a router as the main device. You can set the Deco in AP Mode which still gives you the mesh network and coverage.

Here is a emulator for the Archer A7: https://emulator.tp-link.com/webpages_a7v5_new/index.html

It is not 100% functioning but gives a general idea.

As far as the URLs, those would be used when setting up the router as you are connected locally to it. I personally do not use that, instead I use the IP such as 192.168.0.1 when setting up the router.

Options
2020-03-31 01:59:11
Tony Thanks for the info. I normally use a browser and ip address to do the configuration of my routers. I only tried the url's because they were suggested by the manual and wanted to see if they would provide something different then ip access. the browser interface provides way less configuration capabilities so you are really forced to use the app. Yes I could use another router and turn the M3 into an AP. Then I could still get internet access if my ISP forced a change on me. But it would require me to reset my M3 to correct and who knows what would happen to my connected smart home clients. I've got smoke detectors and water leak detectors connected so i wouldn't want to limit their functionality. not worried about voice controlled light switches. But to me setting up the M3 as an AP is a workaround for a stupid design decision. And the more I look at it, the more problems i see. Like apparently since the admin is is an email address, i can't change my email address. Are you kidding me!! Thanks for the emulator for the Archer A7 V5 browser but I didn't find anything that indicated that i could log on with a local account if i could not use my tplink id. I'm trying to confirm with tp link that this is true. i've already confirmed with a major tp link competitor that they use an admin account that resides on the router. If tp link will only work with a tplink id, them i will no longer use tp link prodicts.
Options
2020-03-31 19:42:01

@brucewol 

You can log in with the TP-Link ID account or the local account. While at the login page, there is a link that switches back and forth.

Options
2020-03-31 20:47:51

@Tony 

below is the logon page for Deco H3 Router. I see no switch, only a field for the password. So my concern appears valid for the Deco H3

I don't have the Archer A7 V5 router and need to get my info answered before I will consider purchasing. I looked at the emulator and it does not allow me see the logon screen. In the Archer A7 V5 1910012752_Archer C7A7_UG_REV5.1.1 i only see references to TP-Link Cloud Service and no reference to a local account. Do you mean the the TP-Link ID is cached locally so it can be validated if there is not currently an internet connection. I have received so much contradictory or incomplete info from TP-Link that I wouldn't beleive anything until I actually see the screen that allows me to see local account as a logon option.

Options
2020-03-31 22:07:29

@brucewol 

My apologies for not being specific. My previous was post was eluding to the Archer A7 as having the toggle between cloud or local login not the Deco.

Options
2020-04-02 17:23:24

@Tony 

Thanks for the help Tony. Under normal times, I'd probbaly just order the Archer A7 V5 from amazon and return it if the local admin option was not available and performed similarly to the logon of the Deco H3. I've tried to get this confirmend in official channels  by opening a call with TP-Link support but getting no where on this.

And since these aren't normall times, getting the A7 V5 delivered to be is certainly not essential. No reason for me to add risk to the delivertyy personnel.

So could you possibly post the A7 V5 logon screen and point me to the sections of the user guide that mentions how to use this. Thanks

Options
2020-04-03 15:49:05 - last edited 2020-04-03 15:57:37

@brucewol 

Here is for the A7:

Here is another router, the AX20:

Options
2020-04-04 19:18:03

@Tony 

Thanks tony.

Options
2020-04-06 14:14:49

@brucewol 

Very welcome.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1744

Replies: 9