Firmware update bricked router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-30 14:56:48
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: ???

I set up router and it was working but the speeds were not good, much slower than the TP link wireless router it was to replace. I did a firmware update from the control panel and after restarting the device will not respond to login. Wireless ports are open but that's it.

So I am not happy. Speeds are too slow on both 2.4 and 5G connections.

Do I have to reset and start over? Not fun.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Firmware update bricked router
2020-03-31 15:49:33

@Stank 

Disconnect the router from the network, and just have a computer wired to one of the LAN ports. Do a factory reset on the router by holding the reset for 15 seconds then let go.

Try accessing the router with the default IP address 192.168.0.1 to see if the login page comes up. If that does not work, get a smart phone and connect to the Wi-Fi, open the phones browser and try the same default router IP. If that still does not work, disconnect from the Wi-Fi, and download the Tether app, connect back and try the app to see if you can log into the router that way.

If any of the logins work, connect the internet back to the router.

Options
2020-03-31 16:07:54

@Tony -Thanks for the advice. I did get the router running again with the updated firmware but the throughput is not good. I bought this to replace my 5 year old TP-Link router (Archer C7). I had both of them running and the connection speeds on the new one were between 30% and 80% of the old one! This occurred on both 2.4 & 5G bands. In fact, the new one(Archer C6) would barely transmit on 2.4 band. I decided to send the new one back to Amazon. 

Any thoughts on why the new one performed so poorly?

Thanks

Options
2020-03-31 20:28:32

@Stank 

I'm thinking it could of been the QoS settings on the router. There are some other settings that could be changed and tried such as NAT Boost.

Options
2020-03-31 20:39:26
Don't think QoS is the issue. Both routers were using 801.n while the old router still had the various devices in the house connected when the speed test was done through my iphone. The new device only had my phone linked when the test was done. As I understand it, QoS is effective with multiple devices. The phone was within a few feet of the router when the comparison tests were done. It's a puzzler. Do you have a recommendation for a wifi router that will actually deliver 100mbs throughput. I routinely get 150-200 mbs on wired connections behind my OpenBSD firewall. The wifi router is also behind the firewall (I know, I know, those wifi connections need to be secure). There is no band splitting on the wired side of the wifi router. Any suggestions?
Options
2020-03-31 22:04:22

@Stank 

I like the M9, but you do not have full control like a traditional router. If you want a traditional router I'd go with the Archer A9, and if you have a big budget, go for the AX6000.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1602

Replies: 5

Related Articles