Archer A7 v5 Onemesh is admin acct local or cloud. Anyone got this router and would do simple test?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer A7 v5 Onemesh is admin acct local or cloud. Anyone got this router and would do simple test?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-30 17:08:33
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

Hi I just got the Deco M3 3 pack the uses Deco Mesh. I was extremly disappointed with the ability to do detail config changes. Usually the browser provides more capabilities but in this case the app has more captilities but is still extremly limited. I know the package is targeted for ease of installation via the app but I expected the browser would allow more detail config changes as i've found in every other router. Nope.

So I'm looking to salvage a portion of my purchases by keeping the extenders and getting the Archer A7 V5 which uses OneMesh. I found a deal breaker for me in the M3 router in using the cloud based admin logon. If for any reason you can not connect to the M3 router, you can not logon and do any configuration changes. I know a significant reason to have a router is to provide internt access. But it is not the only reason and for me maintaining  the ability to logon is critical. I have water leak detectors, a security camera dvr and smoke alarms that all might have issues that need router logon to resolve.

I had a chat with tp link support and i brought up the issue if my POE based ISP changed my password so i couldn't logon. I think the same thing would happen if you switched ISP's or upgraded your ISP modem. The only solution was to factory reset the router. Not sure if all of your ioT devices and would need to be reinstalled. I guess if you used the same ssid and pw, they might. But if not, you would need to reinstall all of them.

If someone has a Archer A7 V5 there's an easy way to verify this. Remove the ehternet router connection to your modem. The try to logon to the router, probably use the browse interface as not sure what the limits might be with the app. Great if you can logon. Tried this with the M3 router - either app or browser and it would not connect.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer A7 v5 Onemesh is admin acct local or cloud. Anyone got this router and would do simple test?
2020-03-31 16:13:20

@brucewol 

The A7 does not require internet to log in so if your internet drops you will still have local access.

Options
Re:Archer A7 v5 Onemesh is admin acct local or cloud. Anyone got this router and would do simple test?
2020-03-31 17:11:06

@Tony 

The A7 V2 uses a local admin as is common on almost all routers. I have one The A7 V5 uses a a tp-link id to logon on.  I have the Deco H3 router and logon only asks for a password, so it is impossible to logon without the internet. So I'm asking for someone to actually attempt this with the A7 V5 router as the product documentation is not clear. I aslo has a chat session with tp-link support and was told i would need to reset the A7 V5 which is different the opposite of what you are saying. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 457

Replies: 2