HS220 dimmer switch has intermittent problem dimming the lights

HS220 dimmer switch has intermittent problem dimming the lights
HS220 dimmer switch has intermittent problem dimming the lights
2020-04-08 03:00:14
Model: HS220
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.15.11

My HS220 dimmer switch recently started having this issue:
The dimmer switch works fine via the Kasa mobile app. However, the problem is when using Alexa to dim or raise intensity level. I can turn the lights on and off via Alexa, just cannot dim or raise the intensity. When I tell Alexa to dim the ceiling lights or raise to 100%, she says "Ceiling lights isn't responding. Please check its network connection and power supply." However, it has no problem just turning the lights on or off. I've tried disabling and re-enabling the switch on the Alexa app, but this makes no difference. If I completely remove the switch from Alexa and re-discover it, then everything will work fine for awhile. But it then soon goes back to the same problem.
Inceidentally, the f/w is up to date.

0
0
#1
Options
2 Replies
Re:HS220 dimmer switch has intermittent problem dimming the lights
2020-04-08 19:52:13

@doggit 

 

Create a new group in Alexa, and just add the dimmer, name it something different, then call that name to see if it dims.

0
0
#2
Options
Re:HS220 dimmer switch has intermittent problem dimming the lights
2020-04-09 22:37:41 - last edited 2020-04-09 22:39:24

@Tony

Thanks for your attention to my question. But unfortunately, this did not work. In fact, after deleting and re-discovering the light switches (both living room and bedroom) multiple times, eventually neither of the switches would work at all via Alexa. Not only dimming, but just attempting to turn them on and off. Finally, in all my messing around in the app, it got to the point it couldn't see my Kasa switches at all. It kept seeing/discovering a Tuya device (which I've never owned).

What I finally did was to basically give up for the day. I deleted the devices from my Alexa app completely (which I had already done multiple times), then.....

1. Waited til the next day to try discovering them again.

2. On the device discovery screen in the app, instead of selecting the type of device (as in "Switch"), I just clicked on the brand logo at the top of the screen (in my case, Kasa).

This time everything worked perfectly. I don't know if my success had to do with #1 above (perhaps giving the Alexa-Amazon servers enough time to logically completely remove the devices before new attempts at re-discovery. Or if my eventual success had to do with #2 above (clicking on a different path in the app to discover the devices). Or maybe it's just a fluke and the tech gods decided to smile on me today. At any rate, hopefully this fix is not just temporary. In addition, perhaps this can be of help to someone else.

 

0
0
#3
Options