Deco M5 WiFi slow after recent firmware update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 WiFi slow after recent firmware update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
22 Reply
Re:Deco M5 WiFi slow after recent firmware update
2020-04-28 00:09:07

@Tony Thank you. Deleting all the nodes from the network in the Deco app, then restarting everything fixed my issue.

Options
2020-04-30 02:49:33

@Tony 

I will try that and report back. Any word on a new firmware version to correct this bug that came with this firmware update?

Options
2020-04-30 06:59:39 - last edited 2020-05-01 08:27:32

I have now experienced this same issue on v1.4.4 of firmware and my wifi connections have become erratic and speeds are dropping conistently

I have reset each deco using the nodes reset pin, and reset up my entire network again from scratch (needed to do this anyway as was also experiencing the issue where the mobile app and even the web interface would no longer allow me to make changes!! - i.e couldnt rename a connected device or turn on and off its high priority or mesh function), since restarting the network from scratch I am no longer having the app issues but I am still experiencing these wireless dropouts and erratic speed issues.

There is something not right with firmware 1.4.4

BigE0n
Options
2020-04-30 07:58:22 - last edited 2020-04-30 16:56:00

@SethL 

Update:

I have tried turning off the 5ghz channel and this had no real effect to my speeds

But turning off one of the two slaves deco M5's (doesnt seem to matter which one) seems to have made the WIFI far more stable and I am now getting far higher speeds

BigE0n
Options
2020-04-30 21:53:38

@Bradduh 

With firmware there is no current information only that if users experience a slowdown default usually put it back to normal.

@BigE0n 

Your issues seem to be more than simply defaulting the Deco device. You can try swapping the main Deco with another to see if the problem is with one of the nodes.

Options
2020-05-01 08:25:54

@Tony 

If I swap the main device do I need to re-initialise the whole of my network again..... IE lose all my settings and start afresh?

I have run with just the two decos and can confirm it has made no difference.

What has made the network a little better is using all three again but turning off the 5ghz wireless channels

I will try your suggestion on Sunday, when the network will be less in use.

If this fails I will downgrade my firmware to the Nov release and see if that makes any difference....

BigE0n
Options
2020-05-01 18:19:45

@BigE0n 

When you swap the nodes the app should recognize that the main deco is no longer connected so it will prompt you to designate a new main deco. You will need to look below the new Deco to see the MAC address so you know which one to choose as the new main Deco. All the settings will still be saved.

Options
2020-05-03 04:41:06

@BigE0n I think it might be my ISP, but when I switched to a different master deco, I got no connection at all.  I wonder if my ISP registered the MAC address of my master deco and wouldn't let another one take its place. As soon as I switched back to the first main deco, I got service again.  So if you run into something similar, you may need to contact your ISP.

Options
2020-05-03 20:57:29
So I deconstructed (forgot all decos) and forgot the network. Unplugging all decos and adding them one at a time. Same results, 223 MB when measured Deco to Internet. 25-45 MB when standing next to the main device over Wifi. Super frustrating, I was having none of these issues prior to the firmware upgrade. Going back and resetting 2 different version of hardware to factory just to get back to a functioning network seems to be cumbersome. What other ideas/help can be provided?
Options
2020-05-04 08:20:07 - last edited 2020-05-04 13:40:07

@Bradduh @Tony @SethL 

Well I swapped the main deco, and completely recreated the whole setup from scratch again! And all was fine until the evening when again my wireless connections became erratic and my son's Console dropped to 1mb download!

I have found that going into the deco via the web interface and rebooting all the decos sorts the issue out for a little while but then it resserts itself again over time

Did a bit more messing around / investigation, and it's definitely related to the 5ghz channel, this seems to drop through the floor, and devices don't switch to 2.4ghz at all which is now running faster!

Even when this is occuring if I goto the app and run a speed test it shows the deco is receiveing 110Mbs down and 11Mbs up!!! so there is defintatly no issues with my ISP

Whilst messing around I realized that this seems to have manifested since I reconfigured the QOS, from the default standard to my own custom one!

I am going to run on standard for now and see if this helps aliviate the problem

Just a note since the android app updated itself this week, SIP ALG was default back to ON, even though I had previously disabled it

If this continues I will rollback to the previous firmware

I am on deco M5 v1.0s just incase thats of any help

BigE0n
Options