M5 setup with a Motorola modem/router with wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-09 20:28:49
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.8

Getting ready to install the M5 right out of the box.  Not real techy.  I have a modem/router with wifi.  Anything special I need to do?

Options
7 Reply
Re:M5 setup with a Motorola modem/router with wifi
2020-04-09 21:08:43 - last edited 2020-04-09 21:09:22

@Gil606 

I would say first to just to connect one of the Deco units to your modem/router, and set it up from there. Once that is squared away and you are up and running from the Deco app  you can then look at what to do next.

1. You can look to disable the Wi-Fi on your modem / router and just have the Deco provide coverage. If you are going to disable the Wi-Fi on the modem / router, make the Deco network name and password the same so your device should connect right over rather then need to configure them all again.

2. If you only want the coverage from the Deco, and do not care about any of the features in the app, you can make the Deco network an access point so it is nothing more then a extention of your existing modem / router.

I would opt for the first point in that it is a common setup, and you can see what the Deco has to offer as far as features.

Options
2020-04-10 01:07:49

@Tony 

Thanks so much with the great ideas.  I was afraid that using the same name and password on both wifi's would cause some interference.  After I get the Deco going then I should go into the router and turn off its wifi and then connect the other Deco units?  I guess that after I turn off the router's wifi I will still be able to use the ports to hard wire a couple components?  Not sure about the access point setup. 

Options
2020-04-10 17:12:59

@Gil606 

Yes, you can do that. It is recommended to disable the Wi-Fi on your modem/router for the interference, and you want want a device jumping back and forth form your modem/router to the Deco. As you set up the first Deco you can just keep adding the others right away, and move those around when done. The modem/router's Wi-Fi can be the lats thing to change in case anything happens.

Options
2020-04-10 17:47:28

@Tony Thanks so much.  I set up the first unit and the setup told me to use a different network name.  I did and then went into the router to turn off the wifi (Both 2.4 and 5.0) and then changed my network name back to the original.  All the devices in the house immediately connected and I then set up the other two units around the house.  Easy-peasy. Just the two of us retired folks using the wifi, computers, phones and a couple tv's for streaming stuff.  Are there any features we should change or just leave the defaults?

Thanks

Options
2020-04-10 20:01:11

@Gil606 

For now I would leave it as is, and in the mean time you can see what your Deco is capable of in checking out our FAQs. And if something still does not make sense just make a new thread so we can help you with that:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/deco-m5/#FAQs

Options
2020-04-10 20:03:10
Thanks much. Working great and WAY faster than my previous setup with wifi extender
Options
2020-04-10 20:18:38

@Gil606 

Glad to hear it is doing its job.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2428

Replies: 7

Related Articles