AX10 with C9 as Access Point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-12 22:16:46 - last edited 2020-04-12 22:18:01
Model: Archer AX1500  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I have an Archer C900 set up as router (cable modem is on one side of house), wireless is disabled. 

AX10 setup as an Access Point in almost middle of house. 

C9 as an Access Point on far side, to cover remaining point of house. 

When C9 is on, I get half speed out of AX10. If I turn off the C9, I get full speed on AX10, through most of the house. The C9 was to cover a dead spot. Since it seems to reduce the overall network load, I'm guessing there is some sort of conflict. 

I'm using same SSID throughout.  I've read various opinions on same or different SSIDs for APs. I opted for same to be able to transition through the house with minimal interruption. 

Is there any reason I shouldn't use the C9 as an AP on the same network and same SSID as the AX10? Is there a better option to use than the C9? I just happened to have the C9, so thought it was a good option to cover the dead spot. 

I got the AX10 because I was concerned that the C9 was overwhelmed by too many devices. Some devices kept dropping internet randomly, hence my getting the AX10. Maybe the C9 is bad. 

I set the APs to separate channels (6 and 11 and 36 and 48 to avoid conflicts - 1 was being used by a neighbor). 

Thoughts? Ditch the C9, stay with AX10 and deal with the few dead spots? Put the C9 on a separate SSID and see what happens?

Options
2 Reply
Re:AX10 with C9 as Access Point
2020-04-13 22:19:26

@Gonzodog 

I would use different SSIDs, it is nice to have only one network to connect to, but them being seperate network devices can give some issues. Mainly the one being that the client does not realize what it is near so you may have a situation where  you are physically close to one AP, but it is still connected to the further AP giving the impression the closest AP is bad or not working. Having different names makes it obvious what network you are in fact connecting to.

Options
Re:AX10 with C9 as Access Point
2020-04-14 03:28:02

@Tony   

Thanks.  I ended up switching out my AX10 router with the C9 (and a C900) and got pretty much the same speed on the 5GHZ and 2.4GHZ, when the routers are connected directly to the modem.  So, apparently my decrease in 2.4GHZ speed is most likely due to the amount of devices I have in my house (~45 devices).  I figured I will stick with my AX10 as the primary, since that is the newest. 

With the C9 as the AP (wired), my 5 GHZ speed on that device is about half (50 MBps instead of 100).  Not awful, but not quite the same.  I'm now thinking about buying another AX10, using it as the AP, and hoping that between the 2 AX10s I should have enough coverage throughout my house.   Thoughts?  Is the AX10 as AP just as good as a dedicated AP device?  For the price, the AX10 is cheaper than other AX range extenders and gives me redundancy, in the event I ever needed it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 795

Replies: 2

Related Articles