A20 - Can't SSH or FTP into local computer using external IP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-17 16:29:58
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20191026 rel.16299(5553)

Replacing an Archer A7 with a new A20. I have a macmini that I want to be able to connect to over ssh and ftp. I assigned the mini a static local ip (192.168.0.111) and then forwarded ports 21 and 22 to that ip by going to Virtual Servers and setting, for example:

External Port: 22

Interal IP: 192.168.0.111

Internal Port: 22

Protocal: All

Now colleagues can successfully ssh in to the mini using:

ssh their_username@my_external_ip

I can also ssh in to the mini from the local network using

ssh my_username@192.168.0.111

However I CANNOT ssh in to the mini from my local network using

ssh my_username@my_external_ip

This used to work fine on my A7 so I have no clue what is wrong. For the moment I can survive by just being careful about using the internal IP when I'm connected to the A20 at home and then using the external IP when I'm on the go. However, this basically breaks tools like mosh and autossh so it is not a long term solution. Anyone have ideas what I'm misssing or what setting I need to change to get the A20 back up to the functionality I had on the A7?

Thank you !

Options
2 Reply
Re:A20 - Can't SSH or FTP into local computer using external IP
2020-04-17 22:39:32

@Paul_wb 

I think the case is you are not able to do NAT loopback or while in the same network, use the public IP. If you are on the local network, use the local IP, if you are remote, then use the external IP.

Our newer routers such as the Archer C4000 is also not able to do NAT loopbacking.

Options
Re:A20 - Can't SSH or FTP into local computer using external IP
2020-04-17 23:06:34

@Tony Thank You!

Not exactly excited to here that my fancy new router lacks a feature of my old router, but very happy to have an explanation so that I can stop trying to fix it. Appreciate your time

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 545

Replies: 2