On WDS mode, wireless clients never get DHCP info and router CRASHES

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-19 17:50:01
Model: Archer C50  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 3.17.1

I've been bridging this router to several routers using WDS before and I always experience the following: I'm able to successfully bridge it and get internet out of it, I'm able to establish successful connections from LAN connected devices without issues but when I connect to it using the wifi from my phone the phone doesn't seem to be able to finish the DHCP handshake and eventually the router crashes and I have to wait for it to come back up again. Pretty wild.

Currently, I'm using these two:

This model: https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-c5/

Bridging to this model: https://www.tp-link.com/us/service-provider/managed-wifi-for-isp/archer-c5/

Options
3 Reply
Re:On WDS mode, wireless clients never get DHCP info and router CRASHES
2020-04-20 23:00:51

@OnlineOaf 

Given they are both C5s, have you tried swapping them to see if the crash still happens?

Options
2020-04-21 13:31:49

@Tony I considered doing that at first but discarded it because I bought the A6 assuming it was better not only connectivity-wise but in terms of features too and I needed that in the main router. Apparently that's not the case though, not in terms of features at least. I decided to follow your advice and things seem to be going smoothly so far. Guess the C5 has buggy WDS bridging? It actually works out because the C5 has bandwith control but the A6 doesn't even though it's supposed to be better (or is it? 🤔).

Options
2020-04-22 17:49:03

@OnlineOaf 

Customers have commented that previous bandwidth controls were detailed/flexible compared to our newer revisions. Glad the current setup seems to work. I have not heard of the C5 WDS having issues, but it may be the case since not there are no issues.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 856

Replies: 3

Related Articles