Error Message when setting up M5 network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-22 23:06:33
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I recently attempted to upgrade my cable modem from a Netgear C6900 combination modem/wireless router to a Netgear CM1100 modem with no router.  Initially I had configured by Deco M5 whole home system using the C6900 with the wireless router disabled so the unit was serving only in the modem capacity.  This configuration worked just fine but the reason for upgrading to the CM1100 was to be able to have access to faster speeds in the future.  The CM1100 is capable of managing Gigabit internet speeds while the C6900 is not.

The new modem install was accomplished without incident and it was activated and working just fine as I was able to access the internet via ethernet connection to my desktop.

I attached the Deco M5 to the system and attempted to set up the whole home network.  This is where the problem began.  The M5 (main) initiated correctly and set up the network using the specified name but when the M5 attempted to connect to the network I received notification on my android phone that the network was connected but there was no internet.  Looking at the WiFi settings on the Android it indicated that the phone was connected to the network but there was no internet.

I reset the M5 to default and again attempted to establish a wireless network but I got the same results.

I then attempted to set up the M5 network by connecting the M5 directly to the Modem LAN port and obtained the same results.  The set up proceeded correctly until the stage where the M5 is connecting to the network as indicated on the phone but reported no internet service.

I chatted with a TP-Link technical support person but that became frustrating so I decided to remove the CM1100 and reinstall the C6900 that I had previously removed.  Once the C6900 was reinstalled I was able to reestablish connection to the M5 network without any problems.

One other thing I attempted using the CM1100 modem was to reset all the M5 pucks and rename my network to something totally different than the previous so it would appear this install was a clean install, but I got similar results.  Connected,No Internet.

Has anyone had a similar issue like this and does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed.  Also is this a Netgear issue and I should reachout to them or is it a Deco M5 matter.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Error Message when setting up M5 network
2020-04-23 18:29:17 - last edited 2020-04-23 18:29:35

@THop 

I would first check to see if it is simply an issue of the modem not recognizing the Deco. Connect the CM1100 to the Deco so things are up and running. Now leave the Deco alone, and power down the cable modem, now disconnect the coax cable to the modem. Now power on the modem, leave it like that for several minutes, and then screw in the coax cable.

Look at the LED light on the Deco, it will probably be red, but see if it turns green after a couple of minutes. If the LED light is still red, log into the M5 using your web browser and see what IP it is getting from the modem. This link will show you how to do that: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2641/

Options
2020-04-23 20:44:09

@Tony 

Tony,

Thank you for the reply.  Because I have reinstalled the initial modem/router combo I will have to wait until next week to take the system down and put the CM1100 into operation.  Once I do that I will get back you with the results.

One question though is your responsed indicated I needed to log into the M5 to see what IP has been assigned to the device.  Currently the default Gateway IP for the main device as assigned is 192.168.68.1.  The IP address for the internet connection is 192.168.68.10.  in the event when I reinstall the CM1100 should I get a similar IP address and if I do not then what is the solution to get a correct internet IP address?

Thanks

Options
2020-04-24 16:00:13

@THop 

Your cable modem should first give an IP to the Deco of 192.168.100.1, then it should switch over to a public IP.

The 192.168.68.1 should stay the same on the Deco in order to access it. All devices behind the Deco including other Deco units will also be running on the 192.168.68.x scheme. So even if your modem gets stuck and just gives the Deco an IP of 192.168.100.1, the Deco will still be on the .68 address. 

This is all assuming the Deco is running in router mode which it does by default. You need to manually switch the Deco to Access Point mode, but if you did not change any operation modes in the Deco app then you do not need to worry.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 610

Replies: 3