AC1750 setup error with android phone

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-24 01:36:02 - last edited 2020-04-25 02:54:59
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I recently purchased a TP-Link AC1750 Archer A7 for my mother who lives across the country. I am trying to get her set up with wifi so that she can stay connected during this pandemic. I was able to get her internet service via Spectrum and they sent her a home installation cable modem kit. I decided to buy the wifi router seperately. I am trying to assist her in setting it up remotely and we have been running into some issues I was hoping someone could help us out!

We got the modem and router connected, all lights indicate everything is working fine. My mother does not have a computer, just a smart phone (Moto g7). Unfortunately I am not very familiar with androids. When we log into the Wifi on the smartphone and type the default password as printed on the included card, it then asks to "tap to sign in" which brings up the TP-Link setup page to set an adminstrator password, unfortunately this is not opening in google chrome, but rather an unknown android application - perhaps a native web app for android I am unaware of?, and a widow comes up saying that cookies must be enabled to continue. We've checked that Chrome is her default browser and that cookies are enabled, so I'm unsure why this isnt opening in Chrome. The only setting options for the default page that comes up when we "tap to sign in" is to use the page as is, which we've done, but when we type a new password and click Lets get Started, nothing happens. We have also tried ignoring that page accessing the TP-Link setup page via Chrome but again nothing happens when we click lets get started. The Tether APP has also led us to dead ends, it either canot detect the router, or when it does it drops it almost instantly. SO we are unable to get beyond the page where we create an adminstrator password no matter how many different ways we try it.

My feeling is that this all has something to do with the "tap to sign in" option that keeps coming up when joining the wifi network on the smartphone. I've never seen that before (again, not an android user). Can anyone help? IS there something obvious that I'm missing here?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:AC1750 setup error with android phone-Solution
2020-04-25 02:54:43 - last edited 2020-04-25 02:54:59

Hi @Tony 

Thanks for your reply!

The problem we were running into was that we were setting up wifi for the first time, without a computer, and only able to use my mothers Moto g7 Smartphone. She got a home installation kit from her cable provider and I sent her the TP-Link AC1750 from amazon. I would have been fine not acessing the router at all and just using the default passowrd, but when setting up the modem and router and testing the connection, the wifi on her android didnt say connected, it said "tap to sign in" similar, I think to how when you visit a hotel's free wifi you are then redirected to a web page that asks for credentials. Instead of taking us to the hotel's webpage it was taking us to the routers login page, albeit not in Chrome  - here's where I got super confused as I'm not an android user... Chrome was her default browser and cookies were enabled, but whatever application it was opening in, the routers page (the one that asks you to create a new admin password, confirm, then "let's get started") was saying that cookies needed to be enabled. I still dont know what the heck that application was. And that was the problem.

But here's the good news: we got it working!

I realized that the router had WPS connectivity capability, so after restarting both the modem and router (we did the factory reset per your reccomendation) we were able to connect via WPS, thus skipping the whole Wifi "tap to log in" problem that we were getting. From there it was simple to set up the router. In case anyone else comes across this post with a similar problem here's what we did:

1. Turn off Cell data on the andriod by going to settings: Wifi and Internet - Data Usage - and disabling cell data (I read that the phone may have been prioritizing cell data instead of wifi which may have caused a problem, unsure but I figured it couldnt hurt to disable cell data temporarily... TURN IT BACK ON AFTER YOUR DONE!)
2. Reset Router using the button on the back of the router (15 sec) may vary by machine
3. Unplugging modem and router
4. plugging in modem, waiting 2 minutes
5. plugging in router, waiting 2 minutes
6. on android go to wifi settings, scrolling past the detected networks to advanced settings and finding WPS Push Button. -
7. This part took a few minutes, because we made an error, pardon the long explanation here I just want to help if anyone comes across this, on our router (TP-Link AC1750) if you hold the WPS/Wifi button on the back for more than 3 seconds it turns off Wifi. The button is a little finicky. We found out that you had to have the Wifi capabilities on the router ON, so if youve pressed it for more than 3 seconds the two green wifi lights on the front will turn off. You want them ON. So press it again for 3 seconds. If you havent pressed it at all yet good!
8. Put the android device on, or right next to the router, it has to be close
9. Press the WPS/Wifi button on the back of the router (just once, dont hold it!) then immediately press the WPS Push Button on your android device
10. If succesful you should see a light on your router that blinks (far right on the front panel) trying to find the WPS connection, and your android will search too, and within 2 minutes they should connect.
11. THATS it! From there we could easily log into the router settings and reconfigure the default name and password for our wifi (we used the tether APP which wasn't working before, but my guess is the using the IP address in Chrome to access router settings would have been the same)

Now we can log into wifi on the android device without being asked to "tap to sign in" and everythings groovy

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:AC1750 setup error with android phone
2020-04-24 18:06:19

@kmclearner 

I would first factory reset the router to make sure there are not existing configurations for whatever reason. Look behind the router, press and hold the reset pinhole with a small object like a safety pin or something similar for 15 seconds. You should see all the lights turn on then go off, let go of the reset.

If you are going to use the Tether app, you will need to create a TP-Link ID first, but do that without being connected to the A7. Once you created the account, and inside the app, you would then connect to the A7s Wi-Fi, and begin the setup: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1971/

If you want to avoid needing to use the app, then connect to the A7s Wi-Fi, get to the login page. The password you would use to log in is admin not the eight-digit password.

Now if you simply want an internet connection, you do not need to log into the router. Once the modem sends an internet connection to the A7, connecting to the Wi-Fi of the A7 should give an internet connection right then and there.

Options
Re:AC1750 setup error with android phone-Solution
2020-04-25 02:54:43 - last edited 2020-04-25 02:54:59

Hi @Tony 

Thanks for your reply!

The problem we were running into was that we were setting up wifi for the first time, without a computer, and only able to use my mothers Moto g7 Smartphone. She got a home installation kit from her cable provider and I sent her the TP-Link AC1750 from amazon. I would have been fine not acessing the router at all and just using the default passowrd, but when setting up the modem and router and testing the connection, the wifi on her android didnt say connected, it said "tap to sign in" similar, I think to how when you visit a hotel's free wifi you are then redirected to a web page that asks for credentials. Instead of taking us to the hotel's webpage it was taking us to the routers login page, albeit not in Chrome  - here's where I got super confused as I'm not an android user... Chrome was her default browser and cookies were enabled, but whatever application it was opening in, the routers page (the one that asks you to create a new admin password, confirm, then "let's get started") was saying that cookies needed to be enabled. I still dont know what the heck that application was. And that was the problem.

But here's the good news: we got it working!

I realized that the router had WPS connectivity capability, so after restarting both the modem and router (we did the factory reset per your reccomendation) we were able to connect via WPS, thus skipping the whole Wifi "tap to log in" problem that we were getting. From there it was simple to set up the router. In case anyone else comes across this post with a similar problem here's what we did:

1. Turn off Cell data on the andriod by going to settings: Wifi and Internet - Data Usage - and disabling cell data (I read that the phone may have been prioritizing cell data instead of wifi which may have caused a problem, unsure but I figured it couldnt hurt to disable cell data temporarily... TURN IT BACK ON AFTER YOUR DONE!)
2. Reset Router using the button on the back of the router (15 sec) may vary by machine
3. Unplugging modem and router
4. plugging in modem, waiting 2 minutes
5. plugging in router, waiting 2 minutes
6. on android go to wifi settings, scrolling past the detected networks to advanced settings and finding WPS Push Button. -
7. This part took a few minutes, because we made an error, pardon the long explanation here I just want to help if anyone comes across this, on our router (TP-Link AC1750) if you hold the WPS/Wifi button on the back for more than 3 seconds it turns off Wifi. The button is a little finicky. We found out that you had to have the Wifi capabilities on the router ON, so if youve pressed it for more than 3 seconds the two green wifi lights on the front will turn off. You want them ON. So press it again for 3 seconds. If you havent pressed it at all yet good!
8. Put the android device on, or right next to the router, it has to be close
9. Press the WPS/Wifi button on the back of the router (just once, dont hold it!) then immediately press the WPS Push Button on your android device
10. If succesful you should see a light on your router that blinks (far right on the front panel) trying to find the WPS connection, and your android will search too, and within 2 minutes they should connect.
11. THATS it! From there we could easily log into the router settings and reconfigure the default name and password for our wifi (we used the tether APP which wasn't working before, but my guess is the using the IP address in Chrome to access router settings would have been the same)

Now we can log into wifi on the android device without being asked to "tap to sign in" and everythings groovy

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1200

Replies: 2