Archer C4000 random disconnection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-27 08:20:59 - last edited 2020-04-27 08:25:13
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20190827 rel.78773(5553)

Hi all,

I have a Archer C4000 and from time to time, this router will randomly disconnected the internet and the "globe" led light on the router will turn orange.

My wifi and LAN still works but no internet connection.

The issue disappear when I reboot the router.

Why is this router doing this? Is there an automatic reconnection in the router setting?

Below is the screenshot of when the disconnection happened

Options
18 Reply
Re:Archer C4000 random disconnection
2020-04-28 16:15:05

@kooldavid 

If the LED turns amber then whatever it is connected to stops giving an internet connection. If the router is connecting to a modem, log into it and see what logs it shows such as critical 3 or critical 4 errors. Other information to look at is to see if all download channels are locked and upload channels if it is a cable modem.

Options
2020-04-29 01:40:42

@kooldavid 

My AC4000 is doing the same thing. The internet light will turn amber about 6 or 7 times per day. Started with the latest firmware. On top of it the router will reboot itself about every 2 or 3 days. Auto reboot is turned off in the configuration. I'm not sure if the hardware is crap or it's bad firmware. I have already exchanged the router at Microcenter because the first one started rebooting itself after an update to the latest firmware. Microcenter will not exchange this one. Needless to say I am extremely upset about this. I tried to reflash the router to an the older firmware version that didn't give me any issues. But I get a message that I can not go back. I have always purchased TP-Link routers but this is my last one.

Options
2020-04-29 23:45:14

@ram1220 yup I suspect it's the router as well and firmware. I did a quick search in this forum and there are very similar reports of the tp link router with this issue. This is my last tp link router I will purchase as well. 

Options
2020-05-07 12:54:21

@kooldavid 

Hi there. I have the same issue with archer c4000 random disconnection and of course i am upset about it. Contacted tplink help but no one replied my email and i have to figure out myself how to solve this issue.

Apparently, i resolved the issue by installing a cooling fan underneath the router and the problem resolved. No more disconnection. Of course having said that, i am living in asia and the weather is hot and humid. 

Hope this helps.

Options
2020-05-07 21:02:54

@Blaw 

I hope the fan solves your issue. Mine never gets hot. In fact it stays cool. I think it's a firmware issue. I can't believe there are this many bad routers being sold. But who knows? I did not have the issue on the factory firmware. Only after the latest firmware was installed did the reboots and disconnects start. I won't buy another TP-Link product unless this is fixed. And then I will think really hard about it. But will more than likely steer away from TP-Link.

Options
2020-06-23 16:02:55

Today I discovered the same issue others are  experiencing with random reboots. In my case, it's not  a heat  issue. 

I have a QNAP NAS that alerts me when it loses it's WAN connection.

I find tis very frustrating too and it does not have a uptime status  either.  I am certain the under lying OS  of the router has this feature and 

can easily be displayed on the web GUI. 

Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20190827 rel. 78773(5553)

Hardware Version: ArcherC4000 v2.0

The system log shows and it takes less than 1 minute to recover when it occurs.

Remote Magement  (9909) Service Stop 

UpnP [10160] Service Stop

UpnP [10160] Service Start

Led Controller [1262] Start to run LAN_ON

Led Controller [1262] Start to run LAN_OFF

Led Controller [1262] Start to run WAN0_OFF

Led Controller [1262] Start to run WAN1_OFF

I am gong to open a  support case and see what they come back with.

Options
2020-06-23 18:06:50

@SoCalPhilZ 

Please let us know what you find out. For now I have just set my AC4000 to reboot every night. It has stopped the uncommanded reboots during the day and evenings. I'm wondering if the router is just running out of memory which causes a reboot? Mine isn't a heat issue either.

Options
2020-07-17 17:55:42
I have the same problem but rebooting does not seem to effect the issue. Tried to report the problem but TP Link support page does not recognize the Archer C4000 as a valid model number in their email drop downs list! Getting very frustrated in finding an answer. Please let me know if anyone finds a solution!
Options
2020-07-18 04:57:50

@Ocrab my only workaround is to set the router to reboot every night!

Options
2020-07-19 00:40:17

@kooldavid 

Since my last post 3 weeks ago.

The router has randomly rebooted  twice at random times of the day.

I did at TPLink tech support chat and opened a case. I am told they will start researching this issue and I reveived an email response they are looking into it.

One thing they asked me to do  and makes this sense, is removing power from the router.  

Much like any other electroninc  device sometimes a reboot/power cycle  will not fix the problem and power has to be removed.

Some of you that schedule reboots may get more time between un-scheduled random reboots.

Anyways, this suggests a HW, OS, firmware, service bug...etc or combination of these.

I will post updates as I learn more.

Stay safe and healthy

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 7657

Replies: 18

Related Articles