Archer A20 QoS discussion - what is in each catagory?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-27 23:20:58
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 20191026

There are 5 different catagories to prioritize in the tplink software but not much information to go along with the settings:

Gaming

Surfing

Streaming

Chatting

Downloading

The problem is that there is no way to know which applications are in which catagories (i.e. are Zoom and Webex streaming or surfing or chatting?).  YouTube is likely in "streaming" but who knows without some kind of guide.  "Gaming" is also quite vague. 

I would like a lot more control of QoS by individual service but alas there seems to be no dd-wrt support for this device yet.... :(

Can anyone provide any guidance on how I get more detailed control of this router?  Thanks!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer A20 QoS discussion - what is in each catagory?
2020-04-29 17:28:25

@Manos_THOF 

The QoS categories are powered by TrendMicro so you can use the TrendMicro Safty Site Center to look up various URLs to see which category a site is.

For example, if you put YouTube it shows it as streaming.

Options
Re:Archer A20 QoS discussion - what is in each catagory?
2020-05-28 22:29:27 - last edited 2020-05-28 22:31:18

@Tony I need more clarification on this answer. I just purchased this and also had similar questions.

Gaming - obvious

Streaming - does this include Skype / Zoom?

Surfing - general browsing

Chatting - what does this include?

As a family in a house - we have scenarios where adults are using Zoom for business and we need priority. Which setting provides that? I already set priority on the individual devices but I'd like to be able to set up the application priority.

This is not about URLs - does the Qos recognize apps/devices? For example if I set the Qos to gaming will it recognize my Xbox over my iphone? Or is the Qos only making decisions based upon website urls?

If I set it to streaming and I'm watching netflix on a app on my iphone and my roommate is playing xbox and my other roommate is watching youtube on chrome on their computer who has priority?

TP LINK should provide a list of apps/devices and how they are categories for these settings. This is extremely important.

Options