Wired exactly like old switch. Lights click on and off very fast. Tried two different switches.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wired exactly like old switch. Lights click on and off very fast. Tried two different switches.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-02 00:25:49 - last edited 2020-05-04 19:10:46
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: Current

Hi I wired this up exactly as how my old switch was but they are not working.  If I put the old switch back on it works no problem.  Each switch is individually wired. There are two other switches that need to be on for these switches so what I'm learning is that this is a three way switch?  However the hs210 switch has connections for two travelers.  Do I just install one since I only have one?  Do I for certain need the hs210?  In the picture is the reinstalled old switch working fine in the background.  In the foreground is the smart switch connected but not working.  I ended up just putting both old switches back in to have lights on for now.  Thanks for any help!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Wired exactly like old switch. Lights click on and off very fast. Tried two different switches.-Solution
2020-05-02 00:48:58 - last edited 2020-05-04 19:10:46

@Azazel 

You need to use the HS210

The white and red are the travelers, black is the common/load.

The wire you should use as the white neutral is the two white wires under the orange wirenut.

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Wired exactly like old switch. Lights click on and off very fast. Tried two different switches.-Solution
2020-05-02 00:48:58 - last edited 2020-05-04 19:10:46

@Azazel 

You need to use the HS210

The white and red are the travelers, black is the common/load.

The wire you should use as the white neutral is the two white wires under the orange wirenut.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Wired exactly like old switch. Lights click on and off very fast. Tried two different switches.
2020-05-02 01:01:25

@B.Will

Thanks for the reply! Okay I will order a couple of the hs210 and use these other two elsewhere in the house.  I'm not sure I understand completely.  There is a red a black a white and a ground.  I asummed the white was neutral, black hot and red traveler.  The switches are not wired together.  I took a picture of earlier but its all put back together now with the old switches.  But it gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.  If white is neutral and black load, can't that just leave red as the traveler? The old switches were wired with the black and white on the connections labeled common and the red wire was unlabeled on this switch.  Recently purchased house just getting my toes wet with electrical trying to learn as much as I can. Maybe the picture will help.  Thanks so much for the info!

Options
Re:Wired exactly like old switch. Lights click on and off very fast. Tried two different switches.
2020-05-02 01:17:48 - last edited 2020-05-02 01:18:49

@Azazel 

A dumb switch never has a Neutral(white) attached.

in your case the red and white are travelers.

Options
2020-05-02 01:31:25

@B.Will 

Okay thats making more sense.  On the product page though it says the I need a neutral, ground, load and two travelers though. "Neutral required"  So if white is not neutral in this setup is it possible to wire the HS210 here?  Thanks again I really appreciate the help!

Options
2020-05-02 01:46:25

@Azazel 

You have a neutral(white) on the other switch, you can use it if the same circuit breaker controls both switches.

Else you should not steal a neutral from a different circuit.

Options
2020-05-02 02:59:26

@B.Will 

I want to put two smart switches in. I have two light banks in the kitchen to control 6 total hoods each having 4 bulbs.  I just took those pictures like it was after reinsatlling one of the old switches.  Both old ones are in and they both look like the dumb switch in the pictures. Each switch has a black red white and ground.  They are not connected in any way. There is no extra neutral. 

Options
2020-05-02 11:49:08

@Azazel 

Without a neutral you are out of luck

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1121

Replies: 7