X60 cannot connect to internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-08 03:39:21
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi everyone,

Just picked up a Deco X60 3-pack.  I can successfully create a mesh network (one Main and two slaves) only if the main Deco is connected to my existing, complete network:  internet -> modem -> old router -> Main Deco -> slaves.  I can connect devices to the Deco's wifi network (separate from my old router) and everything works fine everywhere.

If I remove my old router and just go Internet -> Modem -> Main Deco....no slaves or other devices to complicate the network....the Main Deco goes solid red on the light.  It cannot connect to the Internet.  Modem lights are all good.  Wired internet direct from the modem is good.  But, still, solid red on the Deco.

I have tried a number of various power cycles on both network equipment and wireless devices.  Deco is set to Dynamic IP.  I can still connect to the Deco via the Deco mobile app, but I cannot get it to see the Internet.  It's almost like it can't resolve the WAN for itself when connected directly to the modem - apologies if my terminology there isn't correct.  I have also tried resetting the Deco and even trying one of the other units in the pack as the Main Deco - but each time I create and setup the network, I get the solid red light.

What settings should I be looking at, to troubleshoot?  What am I missing on this?  I don't have any reason to suspect that there is hardware issue.  I am almost positive I am missing a setting or a step somewhere.

I appreciate you taking the time to read my issue.

Options
2 Reply
Re:X60 cannot connect to internet
2020-05-08 21:07:55

@Bill80 

Your modem is not recognizing the new router. Leave the Deco wired and powered on, turn off your modem and then turn it back on. Wait several minutes and the LED light should indicate the internet is now there. If the LED light is still red, contact your ISP or the modem manufacture and tell them it is not recognizing the new router. You normally see that in cable modem where they bind the MAC address to the older router so no other device will get internet unless it sees the original device it is bound to.

Options
Re:X60 cannot connect to internet
2021-08-12 23:26:19

Hi Tony.

I have an ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 modem. My old set-up is an Apple AirPort Extreme base stationn/router, and my even older set-up is an Apple AirPort Express base station/router. I can easily exchange them, without doing anything to the SURFboard except restarting it. Actually, I'm not sure that I even need to do that. I've never checked.

I just got a tp-link Deco M9 Plus mesh wi-fi system. The set-up seems easy enough, but no matter what I do and what order I reset things, or how long I keep the SURFboard unplugged before I start over, I can never get to the last stage of the set-up and successfully get an external internet connection. Of course the little red light comes on.

The wi-fi network actually is established and I can connect to it from various devices. I can even connect to it and talk to it via http://tplinkdeco.net once I'm on the network, but I really can't do anything significant. I can unplug the tp-link Deco M9 on the fly, and hook the AIrPort Extreme back up, and I'm again good to go.

For whatever reason, I cannot get to the internet with the tp-link connected to the SURFboard.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Options