Questions about DECO M9 Plus after use for 24 hours.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-11 17:17:51
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.12

So while the setup seemed pretty straight forward it left me with questions that have me feeling very uneasy. Hopefully these can be answered and my fears proven unjustified otherwise this will be returned to the store immeditaely.

1. Is there a way to access the DECO locally without having to be connected to the WWW at all? 

2. Why is the port forward table limited to 16 entries? 

3. Why is the App the only way to connect and why do I need to sign in to TP-Link to do it? (understand that so far this screams out that TP-Link is positioning itself in between the user and the equipment in a way that could allow them to create a subscription based service and if true is unacceptable.)

4. Why is there no way for me to configue this from a PC? Is this possible or planned?

5. I do not have a broadband modem and it works just fine, is one necessary?

Thanks!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Questions about DECO M9 Plus after use for 24 hours.
2020-05-12 17:22:10

@Mute1 

1. As long as you are connected to the Wi-Fi of the Deco you should be able to use the Deco app to manage it.

2. Limits on entries are usually due to the available resources of the device.

3. The app and ID are there for simplicity with respect to the Deco system. 

4. Not from a PC, you will need the app from now to the future.

5. No, you just need to have an Ethernet cable that provides an internet connection to the main Deco.

Options
2020-05-13 19:28:10

@Mute1 

There is a beta out that does allow access via a web page on a PC.   It also increases the port forward limit to 64.  It is unclear to me how long it will be before that beta goes GA.

Options
2020-05-14 11:28:40

@Tony 

Unfortunately response 1 seems to be inaccurate as I cannot access the DECO unit unless it has an active internet connection. I verified this by disconnecting the WAN feed from the ISP and could not access the DECO wirelessly. Basically, if the LED went Red I had no ability to get into the DECO at all.

Options
2020-05-15 22:09:19

@Mute1 

Are you running the Deco in AP Mode? Initially, when you set up the Deco it needs the internet, but it should be manageable when missing the internet after the network is running

With respect to the port forwarding, it looks like the v2 will be getting the expanded port forwarding rules as the v1 so you will be able to go up to 64 entries with the next firmware.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 631

Replies: 4