Wireless devices have to try to join multiple times

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-12 12:48:41
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.12

I've seen similar issues mentioned in the forums but nothing exactly like this, so I thought I would write.

My wireless network was run by a Linksys router but I recently installed the M9 Plus with 3 nodes and kept the existing SSID. Now, everyday, none of my wireless devices can join the network on the first try. The nodes are green the entire time but for my laptops, I have to turn off WiFi and turn it back on, then it can connect. For my smart TV, I have to turn it off and turn it on. This happens when I switch between apps on the TV (Netflix, Prime Video, etc). My Fitbit scale can't find the network, meaning it won't sync when needed. Our phones, Kindle, Switch, and tablets are likewise impacted. I emailed Support and they sent me a link to this article: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2428/. But I'm not sure how it applies. 

I've thought about disabling DHCP but I'm not sure on some of these devices how to set a static IP address.

Any guidance would be appreciated. We're both working from home and it would be nice to have a reliable wireless network...

Options
3 Reply
Re:Wireless devices have to try to join multiple times
2020-05-13 14:17:11

@Mark-k 

I think it may be keeping the same exact SSID. I know for convenience you wanted to keep it all the same, but given the issue you are seeing I would create a new SSID. Another way to test that would be to enable your guest network and make that a different SSID, and have some devices connect to that (ex. testwifi). If that resolves it then you can change the SSID on your main network and connect everything back.

Options
2020-05-13 14:21:40

@Tony What do you mean by keeping the exact same SSID? Isn't that what I want? I kept the SSID from the old router, at least I kept the name the same.

I'll enable my guest network and see if that works. What is the difference in functionality between a guest network and the primary network?

Options
2020-05-14 14:40:30

@Mark-k 

Keeping the same SSID is what you want, but I am thinking about what to change or try to see if it resolves the devices having trouble connecting.

Using the guest will mean devices on the guest network will not be able to talk to devices on the main network. For example, hosting a media server where other devices on your network connect to locally. If you do not do any hosting or sharing files from one device to another and just simply get internet access that should work fine.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 433

Replies: 3

Related Articles