Google Home

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Google Home

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Google Home
Google Home
2020-05-12 18:35:04
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have numerous TP Link switches and plugs in my home. I have had Google Home link to my Kasa devices for over a year and it worked well.

Over the last few weeks, each time I use voice commands via Google Home to control the light - the lights turn on/off but my Google Hubs will say there was an error connecting to TP Link Kasa. If I try to use the Android Google Home app to look at a switch, it will say that it cannot connect.

I looked through the settings in the Kasa app and didn't see anything that might stand in the way. I also reconnected my TP Link Kasa account to Google Home and tried to resync (both by the in app menu and saying "ok google sync devices").

Not sure what to do and I didn't find anything by searching round. Maybe I missed something. =(

Options
4 Reply
Re:Google Home
2020-05-13 15:05:01

@AndrewPM 

When the issue happens, have you opened up Kasa to see if the switches show up normally or show local only?

Google Home relies on the switches remote connection to work.

Options
2020-05-15 13:43:52 - last edited 2020-05-15 13:46:01

They show up and work in the Kasa app when I use my phone not connected to my local network (i.e. on 4g and not on WiFi).

I also run commercial network hardware for my home network (software / networking guy) and I can verify through my network and wifi management software that all switches/outlets are 1) connected to an access point 2) which access point 3) how much data they are sending/receiving and from/to where and lastly 4) their connection strength. All those look great. There are also no firewall rules blocking their communication because I can see their traffic exiting to the internet.

Options
2020-05-15 22:46:13

@AndrewPM 

I would probably get a hold of our smart home team here: Kasa.Support@TP-Link.com

They should be able to see if there may be any logs or clues on what may be going on.

Options
2020-07-27 21:05:47

@AndrewPM 

my wall plugs stopped working but my light switches work

Options