How to Setup Deco m5 to existing Router/Modem as AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-13 20:10:38
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have an existing netgear router/modem that i want to use along with the deco m5 to extend the wireless to other units in 4plex. I understand i will need to set these up in AP mode.  Im trying to understand exactly how to do this step by step. So i will have to hook one of the pucks to the existing router and then go thru the config in the app.  the others will be placed in other units and only connect via wifi, so how do we configure those ? do they need to be directly connected to router via ethernet to configure and then you can move them to other location as only wifi ? or can you just go configure the other units as AP without hardwire connection? the netgear router/modem will do the dhcp/wifi ,can you setup the name of the wifi for the APs to use the same name as the netgear router or will that not work? so if netgear is netgear2 (for 2.4ghz) and netgear5 (for 5ghz) can you use those same names for the APs or would that cause issues ?  Im hoping a few people have done this setup and have some tips/instruction as what ive found so far is not very in depth.  Thanks for any help

-Vinman

Options
4 Reply
Re:How to Setup Deco m5 to existing Router/Modem as AP
2020-05-14 18:07:10

@the_vinman 

Here is an article that shows how to switch the Deco to AP Mode: https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/kb/detail/334

From what you described as far as connecting one of the nodes and setting it up regularly then switching to AP Mode is correct. As far as the other nodes you can have placed where you want, they do not need to be wired as the main Deco will send the configuration to the other nodes automatically.

You can name the Deco mesh network to be the same as your Netgear, just note that if a device connects from the Deco to the Netgear Wi-Fi or vice versa you will see a drop in connection as it moves over. It would be no different than manually connecting to another network via the Wi-Fi menu on your phone for example.

Here is a post with some info as well about AP Mode: https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/204016

Options
2020-05-15 03:25:07

@the_vinman thanks for the info, ill be trying to set this up this weekend

Options
2021-01-20 03:09:18

@Tony 

Im having issue setting up my deco ac1200. I wish to setup my deco with my existing router to set my deco as access point. 

I've tried several times using the guide you sent above, i will have to setup from the first till the final step, however the deco itself couldn't detect any internet despite I've keyed in every single details needed and the deco would turn solid red light and the network created would disappear and I'll have to start all over again.

Kindly advise 🙏 

Options
2021-01-21 23:21:00

@Sinonysim 

The router you are connecting the Deco to is likely blocking the Deco from properly reaching out to the internet. The Deco would not revert of any sort so that could mean something else is possibly wrong.

Try setting the Deco up as the main router to see if it is capable of working at least in router mode. Going back to your original setup, you could try assigning an IP to the Deco WAN port while it is in router mode, then in your main router setting the Deco WAN IP as a DMZ to see if the router is blocking it.

Options