Windows 10 won't recognize TP link USB drive

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-15 15:21:42
Model: Archer A9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a Toshiba external hard drive mounted to my USB port on my Archer AC9 Router. However, when I try to set up a backup for my Windows 10 laptop, it won't recognize/does not see the USB drive on the network. How do I resolve?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Windows 10 won't recognize TP link USB drive
2020-05-15 19:33:06

@TimSC 

You could be looking at an SMB1 issue. MS has 'dropped' this version of SMB in favor of SMB3.

The issue is that the router's (in general, most of them) use different protocols for network sharing. SMB1, Samba, or NetBIOS for instance. Windows 10 uses SMB3 bascially by default.

If you open a CMD prompt (Windows key + R key and enter CMD) and then enter NET VIEW, do you see the router or get an error? If an error, for sure this is the problem. If so,  https://redmondmag.com/articles/2020/02/26/microsoft-didnt-remove-smb1.aspx, should be all the info you need.

SMB1 was 'disabled' my MS as it isn't the protocal to use. It can be used be some attacks, but if you have a security suite running you should be OK.

Options
2020-05-16 13:24:02

@IrvSp 

Thanks for the wonderful and fast support. I tried your Command Line suggestion, with New View. It did recognize, i believe, both my desktop and my router (//BRW00809 etc). What do I do next?

Many thanks in advance.

Options
2020-05-17 00:19:16

@TimSC 

Copy and paste the output, mine looks like this:

===========

C:\>net view
Server Name            Remark

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\\IRV8700              Irv's 8700
\\LARAINE-XPS8500      Laraine's XPS8500
\\TP-SHARE             samba server
The command completed successfully.

==============

2 PC's. wife's and mine. The TP-Share is the USB drive, your drive name maybe different as it is set in the router, check there.. Here is the link to the emulator and use the ? for help setting up the drive, https://emulator.tp-link.com/a9v6/index.html

You will still need SMB1 I'm pretty sure. You can check for it to see if it is running by starting Powershell and then issue the proper command,

Get-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName SMB1Protocol, like this:

-------------------------

PS C:\> Get-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName SMB1Protocol

FeatureName      : SMB1Protocol
DisplayName      : SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support
Description      : Support for the SMB 1.0/CIFS file sharing protocol, and the Computer Browser
                   protocol.
RestartRequired  : Possible
State            : Enabled
CustomProperties :
                   ServerComponent\Description : Support for the SMB 1.0/CIFS file sharing
                   protocol, and the Computer Browser protocol.
                   ServerComponent\DisplayName : SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support
                   ServerComponent\Id : 487
                   ServerComponent\Type : Feature
                   ServerComponent\UniqueName : FS-SMB1
                   ServerComponent\Deploys\Update\Name : SMB1Protocol

---------------------------------

Again, check this for more about SMB1, https://redmondmag.com/articles/2020/02/26/microsoft-didnt-remove-smb1.aspx

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2895

Replies: 3