Deco M9+ not doing it for me - why?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-15 20:38:03
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I just bought the 3x set of M9+ in hopes to fix my signal strength issues over short distances - but it's no different than with a standard router.

We have 350mbps service and I'm only trying to get that full signal from my family room media center (1st floor) to my office (1st floor) about 50' away.  It's a new construction 2 story house in CA.

Ookla Speed Test (desktop version on a top end iMac) shows poor strength (70-120mbps) with the main unit being in the family room and satellite in the office - connected vie ethernet.  The TP iPhone App shows good strengh in the speed test - but it is reporting from the MAIN unit - not the furthest satellite.

So I put another satellite (#3) about 1/2 way between - 25' from the main - and another 25' to the furthest one in the office.   Almost no difference.  This is not what I was expecting at all.

I suppose I could reverse the two and put the main unit in the office and farthest satellite in the family room and test again with a 3' wifi or direct ethernet connection it's sure to be good (so would a standard router!) - but I'm planning on connecting an ethernet switch, VOIP, media server and other things so wanted to try to keep all the electronics in the media center (family room).

The only thing that would give me over a standard router is a place to connect the ethernet switch on the satellite end.

Very disappointed and not sure if it's worth keeping.  Maybe for the extra Ethernet port on the receiving end.  Any suggestions before I return it would be apreciated.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M9+ not doing it for me - why?
2020-05-19 15:04:49

@Galaxie 

I would first reboot your entire Deco system. In the app select the globe icon then as you tap each Deco you should have a reboot option on the top right.

With respect to your Deco, how is it wired? Is the main Deco only wired and the other ones connected via Wi-Fi?

If a device is showing that it is reporting being connected to the main Deco rather then a Deco close by, try turning off the Wi-Fi and turn it back on.

Options
2020-05-19 23:13:00

Tony wrote

@Galaxie 

I would first reboot your entire Deco system. In the app select the globe icon then as you tap each Deco you should have a reboot option on the top right.

With respect to your Deco, how is it wired? Is the main Deco only wired and the other ones connected via Wi-Fi?

If a device is showing that it is reporting being connected to the main Deco rather then a Deco close by, try turning off the Wi-Fi and turn it back on.

@Tony 

Thanks for the reply!  Reboots weren't helpful.

I ultimately moved things around and put the Main Deco in my office with a hardwired LAN connection to my desktop - this outputs the full 350mbps (as any decent router would)

With 2 remaining satellites I experimented with placements using WLAN connections but couldn't see much more than about 90mbps on average using Ookla Speed Test connecting with MacBook, iPad, iPhone etc. - it's probably "good enough" for casual browsing and streaming - just not near what I was expecting - specifically for the media center location (about 50 feet away on the same floor)

I'm not sure how/where a device shows/reports what satellite it's connecting to.  There is only one network name so it's not in the WiFi Network selection on the device AFAIK.

I looked in the app at the list of Network Devices and there's not any way to change which satellitle feeds what device - also AFAIK.   Every device in the list shows being connected to "Home".  (Which is not the name of my network - nor the name of any of the individual device locations)  Maybe I'm missing something here?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.  Since a number of my extra network devices require a LAN connection, it's at least providing this bonus in two spots around the house - over a full WLAN setup and putting all the hardwired devices in one place (with the router) on a switch.

Options
2020-05-21 15:04:24

@Galaxie 

Another thing I forgot to mention is you can swap the main Deco, it hasn't worked every time but some got a speed increase when doing so. What will happen is when you swap nodes, the app should ask to designate a new main node. You would reference the MAC address below to pick the right one as the main Deco.

The M9 probably does not have the update yet to see what node is connected to what. That would be seen by tapping on the globe icon in the Deco app, then tap one of the nodes.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 469

Replies: 3

Related Articles