Router (Archer C1200) randomly rebooting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-17 01:10:15
Model: Archer C1200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.0.4 Build 20180122 rel.42880

Router: Archer C1200 (Ver. 3)

Firmware: 3.0.4 Build 20180122 rel.42880 (at time of problem)

decided to drop cable and switch to streaming tv.  old cable modem was max 30Mb/sec. (old download speed was 20Mb/sec.) so i had to get a new cable modem from ISP (new download speed is 100 Mb/sec.).  at the same time of hooking up the cable modem i also hooked up a VOIP phone and turned on a streaming tv service.  so a lot of changes at the same time which i normally refrain from in case there is a problem.

within hours the streaming service would hang but then pick up where it left off.  originally thought is was just buffering by the streaming service.  kept happening every few hours so i checked on the cable modem (since that was the only new piece of hardware) to see it's status.  it was fine but then i noticed the router was rebooting.  for the next few days every so often (3 or 4 times per day) the tv would freeze and sure enough the router was rebooting.

at this point i checked the firmware and it was up to date (3.0.4 Build 20180122 rel.42880).  did on online chat (5/13/2020) and was advised to do a hard reset (press in recessed button on back of router) and then reapplied my configuration (e.g. SSID, etc.) .  within hours same issue of tv freezing because router was rebooting.

on 5/14/2020 i was all set to post the problem to this forum or email support but i decided to check for a firmware upgrade from the web interface (i.e. 192.168.0.1) once again.  and surprisingly there was one (3.0.6 Build 20200401 rel.71690) although it was not on the TP-Link web site for this router.  applied the firmware and since then i have not had one freeze on the tv so i'm pretty sure this upgrade solved the problem.  a day later (5/15/2020) it appeared on the support web site (even though it says a "Published Date" of 5/13/2020).

one of the fixes in the release notes says:

Improvided the connection stability, fixed the issue that router disconnected because of frequent DHCP requests.

i think the first word is suppose to be Improved.

so my question to the TP-Link guys that i see in this forum is:

what is meant by "router disconnected", is it just wi-fi dropping or the router actually rebooting?

where are the "frequent DHCP requests" coming from, my system, the ISP?

the only rationale i can think of is that due to the higher download/upload speed i upgraded to that this would cause a "burp" randomly in the router.  yet i would have thought others would have seen this since 100Mb/sec. has been common for some time.

anxious to hear the technical cause and resolution of this issue from the TP-Link guys.

i'm a happy camper now since i think the latest firmware addressed my issue.  i was getting ready to buy another router (and it was not going to be this brand).

seeing as to how a firmware upgrade was just released when the last one was in january 2018 instills some confidence in the company.

it is curious, though, that the other releases are "published" a few days after the date in the file name.  this upgrade was 1 1/2 months later!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Router (Archer C1200) randomly rebooting
2020-05-19 15:53:01 - last edited 2020-05-20 20:32:05

@gwa000 

The DHCP requests would come from the client devices that asks the router for an IP address so it seems it was causing the router to reboot. Causing the router to reboot may be one symptom, others could be the router would stop responding. 

The dates rarely coincide with the release date so you will see that with our other firmware. You would look at the actual file name build to see if you have the latest firmware.

The firmware for the website is usually updated on Fridays whereas the firmware available to the cloud is uploaded as soon as it is ready.

Options
2020-05-19 16:44:11

@Tony 

thanks for the response and explanation.  i do find it very "mysterious" that the issue started after i switched to a different cable modem in order to support higher speeds.  smiley

also, i'm not sure what is meant by frequent DHCP requests since i would think that Roku (streaming platform) or YouTube TV (streaming service) would only need to do a DHCP request once in order to get an IP address.

plus the fact that a firmware upgrade (ver. 3.0.6) was issued a few days later, especially in light that the previous one (ver. 3.0.4) was over 2 years ago.  very mysterious!  smiley

in any case, since the latest firmware upgrade, i have not had one hang on the streaming tv nor any router reboots!

thanks!!

Options
2020-06-25 12:18:20

@Tony Thanks for the solution and explanation as well. Strange that I paid cash to the technician and even he can't figure out what happened. Thanks again, man.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1161

Replies: 3