Set up router as access point, get incorrect password error

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-18 04:50:57 - last edited 2020-05-26 16:35:25
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: not sure

I attempted to set up my old AC1750 as an access point with my Verizon FiOS Quantum Gateway modem, following the instructions here to set up WDS bridging. I thought I had done this successfully once before. But this time when I finished and rebooted the router, the ethernet connection was fine, but when I tried to connect to thw WiFi with my iPhone I got an "incorrect password" error. Of course the password that I had put in was correct. In addition, I cannot access the admin login after finishing the setup and rebooting. I had reset the IP to 192.68.0.2, and when I rebooted the router at the end, I got a page with "The connection has timed out. The server at 192.168.0.2 is taking too long to respond," and it cannot connect. The only way I can get to the admin login is to reset the router and start all over again. I've done this several times. Both problems keep happening.

One thing I did which was not strictly in the linked instructions was on the page where I put in SSID (to be bridged), with the SSID from the root modem , I also put that name at the top as the ID for the WiFi. I thought that was innocuous (and thought I had done that without a problem before), because otherwise it indicates a TP-Link network, and I thought the network name should be the same regardless of which room in the apartment I'm in. Any idea what I might have done wrong? It's driving me a bit crazy.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Set up router as access point, get incorrect password error-Solution
2020-05-26 16:35:16 - last edited 2020-05-26 16:35:25

@Tony Ok, that solved the problem. I didn't understand the distinction between bridge and access point. I set it up as an AP, and perhaps unwisely used the same SSID and password as the main router, and now it's working. I took a device from one area to another where the wifi would come from the main router vs the AP and it appeared to be seamless. I more or less followed these instructions: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/417/

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Set up router as access point, get incorrect password error
2020-05-19 17:05:55

@unclejimmy 

Make sure the IP you are giving the C7 is in the same subnet of the Verizon router. If a device connects to your Verizon router and gets an IP of 192.168.1.100, then the C7 should have an IP of 192.168.1.2

Having the SSID names, all the same, makes things easier but from the devices, perspective can be confusing so I would make them different. The wireless passwords can be the same, but just different names.

Options
2020-05-22 03:43:17

@Tony Thanks for your response. Unfortunately I still get the "incorrect password" error. This time I set the C7's IP to 192.168.1.2 (the FIOS modem's is 192.168.1.1). I also gave a different name to the network.

One thing I might mention is that I have the line from the FiOS modem going into the LAN port of the C7. When I look at the LAN setup in the TPLink configuration, there's a big red "WAN port is not connected!" message. I had thought I was supposed to ignore the WAN port in the access point. In any case, the problem is still unsolved. I confess I'm not a networking expert, so I may be doing something stupid.

Options
2020-05-22 04:56:09 - last edited 2020-05-22 04:57:18

@Tony To follow up: I just tried the password on the C7 router sticker and it worked! But that makes me think I didn't really set up an access point with the FIOS wifi, I just have a router with its own wifi, which is supposed to be a no-no. So again, I must be doing something stupid, but not sure what. I put my FiOS wifi password into the C7 LAN setup with the WDS bridging. I have the ethernet cable from the FiOS modem connected to one LAN port on the C7, and a second ethernet cable connected from my computer to a second LAN port on the C7.

Options
2020-05-22 21:26:11 - last edited 2020-05-22 21:26:33

@unclejimmy 

In setting up the Archer C7 as an access point there are really two ways:

1. Change the operation mode to access point and plug an Ethernet cable from the LAN of the main router to the WAN of the C7.

2. Run an Ethernet cable from the main router to the LAN of the C7. Disable DHCP, assign a static LAN IP on the same subnet of the main router. (This is what you have going)

Either way will work really, but you would note that in the status page it will act as if there is no internet (no cable in the WAN port), but it is still acting like an access point. So any device that connects to the C7 will be on the same network of your router and get an IP from your main router through the C7.

Options
2020-05-23 00:03:38 - last edited 2020-05-23 13:15:36

@Tony Ok, thanks. I don't think the C7 has an AP setting. So I gave it the 192.68.1.2. IP address, disabled DHCP, did this setting (enable WDS bridging) and put in the password (blacked out) to the FiOS network, and that was generating the error. I had to use the password to the C7 router. But I am getting the wifi now, so I guess it's all good. Appreciate the help. It's just that I'm pretty sure I used to have it set up "seamlessly," where the wifi had the same SSID and password, so that if I go from one room to another with my device I don't need to change wifi networks. I thought that was the point of the exercise.

Options
2020-05-26 13:16:47

@unclejimmy 

WDS Bridging is similar to setting up your router as an access point but rather it uses the Wi-Fi connection to get internet and does not need a cable connection.

Having two devices be the same network may give only one network to connect to but it is not a true seamless network. You will likely get network drops, that will be from the devices jumping from one network to another.

Options
Re:Set up router as access point, get incorrect password error-Solution
2020-05-26 16:35:16 - last edited 2020-05-26 16:35:25

@Tony Ok, that solved the problem. I didn't understand the distinction between bridge and access point. I set it up as an AP, and perhaps unwisely used the same SSID and password as the main router, and now it's working. I took a device from one area to another where the wifi would come from the main router vs the AP and it appeared to be seamless. I more or less followed these instructions: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/417/

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2738

Replies: 7

Related Articles